Rabbit Attacked by Dog

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Star Rabbitry

Reaction score
One of the dogs got to my rabbits that are in the hanging cages. He didn't kill any of them, but one has a foot that has been torn open and skinned to the bone. I am going to have to sew it up. Any suggestions? Anything to give it to dull pain?

Emily<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:13 am __________<br /><br />Can you give Banamine to rabbits?

It seems to be okay for rabbits, from what I found by googling. Here's one site that references it for pain of GI statis:
http://www.angelfire.com/fl/RabbitRescu ... tml#relief

EXCERPT:
Pain Relief: The key to keeping the bunny fighting to live!

A. Analgesics are extremely important for a rabbit suffering the abdominal pain of GI stasis. Banamine, a product approved for use only in horses, has been used extensively on rabbits with excellent results. Although some species suffer gastric ulcers when given banamine, we have anecdotal evidence of rabbits on Banamine for several weeks, suffering no apparent side effects. Torbugesic, an opioid analgesic, provides excellent pain relief at relatively low doses, but it may have the undesirable side effect of slowing down intestinal motility.

We also have had excellent success at relieving colic pain and inflammation of the intestinal lining with sulfasalazine, a combination sulfa antibiotic and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory compound. Sulfasalazine works topically to reduce intestinal inflammation. Both banamine and sulfasalazine have a twofold benefit: not only do they relieve pain, they also help reduce enteric toxins generated by harmful bacteria. Barium may also be useful as an intestinal tonic to relieve pain and help stimulate peristalsis, but its action is slow compared to that of the aforementioned analgesics.

I am sorry that happened. I have a bunny that has survived a dog attack, where they chewed his toes off. thank god the cage was sturdy enough they couldn't get through it. sadly they got a lot of my other bunnies though. :( I let him heal on his own. He was fine after that. Sorry I am not that much help. :(

Thanks Maggie!
I was able to sew her up and she looks like she might do alright. Looks like I won't be able to show her, though. It's always the best ones that something happens to. :(

Emily

Sorry about your doe!

We had rabbits attacked in the same way once. My outdoor hutches now all have a second floor 3 inches below the first made of 2x4 fencing wire. I wish it were standard on all hutches that you buy pre-made.

Latest posts

Back