If you don't see me

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
over on HT, I got booted off for offending someone! :lol: Check out "Chorioptic Mange?" in the Goat Forum, and let me know if you think I was outta line. :roll:

er....that's not even harsh. It's a "get out there and treat the symptoms so she gets better..worry about what caused it later" post.

wow. goat's is a tough crowd....

__________ Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 pm __________

but on a positive note...looks like the PAAARRRRR-TTTTTEEEEeee is going to be mighty interesting ;)

As far as I know, I haven't yet been booted off, :roll: but I did hesitate before hitting the "Submit" button on that one.

I was getting pretty fed up - a) with being ignored and b) with the "well it could be this, but what if it's that, and I don't want to treat for the other" :evil: Sheesh.

I know the "shot gun" approach can create the "but what actually WAS it? and what cured it?" problem...but when the legs are as bad as those were...geeez. FIX IT!

I'm not very nice....I'd have asked "how did they get that bad before you noticed?" :bash: of course..I dont' have goats,....maybe they can go downhill in a day or two? Oh well.

No, they don't get that bad, that quick. My doe that gets it tends to have long hair on her back legs, so I don't see it until I'm clipping her for showing. And it's never as bad as that!<br /><br />__________ Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:59 am __________<br /><br />Hee hee! :lol: Think I hit a nerve! Might have to put that poster on "ignore". :roll:

I don't think you were out of line at all, HCF. If you can't be blunt now and again, what's the point of posting at all? There are a couple of people on HT that I can think of who are very abrasive most of the time... but they don't get the boot. I try very hard to be diplomatic, even to the point of editing and re-editing posts, but now and again I find myself saying something cutting.

When I first came to HT, I was searching for information on goats and sheep. We plan to move out to a place with a few more acres when we find one that suits us and we can afford. I grew up on a cattle farm, so I know plenty about them but we and was not intersted in cattle or hogs. Sheep or goats seemed to be the perfect size. Trouble was, I didn't know a thing about either of them.

I found out very quickly that the majority of people on the goat forum raised dairy goats and few raised meat goats...and that they we more into "pets", "show animals" and "breeding stock" than they were into producing milk, meat or cheese for a reasonable amount. Many of them, had more money in the sheep, equipment, meds, and housing than they could ever hope to recoup. I have no problem with that, I raised show animals for years and did better than most, but I would never suggest them to a "homesteader"

As a group though, they did not approach them as "livestock", and tended to look down a bit on those that did. There were members that did think of their goats as "livestock" but with the "atmosphere" in the forum, tended not to post much.

That was my question too Ann!

My experience on HT Goats has been that they are very touchy and if you don't have a web link to back up whatever you share it can't possibly be true. We have had a dairy herd of varying proportions since 1976 and you do learn a few things in that amt of time. As much as I love the web- there was life before links. You were perfectly in reason to encourage that poster to get on with treatment and hopefully it did get some action. Goats do not wait well when they are ailing! It's a touchy bunch over there. The pet attitude IS over the top and that is not what homesteading is about. It is making it work to live with animals. They can be treated as nicely as you please but they are still livestock IF you are homesteading. Like hundreds $$$ for surgery for a 3 legged wether. I mean jeepers people....priorities? I loved your post Pooks!

B~

Kicked off? Seriously? If so, I would say good riddance to them!

The first "law" I ever learned online was: "Don't be excessively annoying, and don't be too easily annoyed." Sounds as though they need a good dose of the second part.

No, I haven't been kicked off, but I am getting fed up with some of the attitudes. Forums evolve, and the atmosphere changes with different posters, not always for the better!

Back