Sneezes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leanne

Reaction score
I just got 2 rabbits last Saturday. A 9 month old bred doe(we hope) and a 7 week old buck. They are in cages next to one another out side. The buck tends to sneeze a lot. If he's licking water off a frozen water jug he'll sneeze a few times and sometimes when he's got his face in his bowl it's the same thing. To me these can be real nose irratations from fines and rolled oats so I'm not that worried. On the same note everything I read about sneezing leads to the rabbit being culled from the herd or death.
So far I have seen no snot or discharge. Under his nose is wet quite often but as I said he likes to rub it on the wet frozen jugs as it has been super hot here. (100)

How worried should I be? I know to watch them carefully cause right now it has got to be stressful to be in new homes with it being so hot. They were outside bunz when I got them but still...

Are these your only rabbits? If so, I wouldn't worry to much unless he starts to blow snot. If you have other rabbits, keep the newcomers isolated for the moment and practice good biosecurity so as not to carry germs from the new rabbits to the old ones.

Chances are it is humidity, nervousness, water-up-the-nose, air pollution or something similar causing these particular sneezes. Just monitor the situation.

Thank you! Yes, these are my only 2. I figured it was all just "all of the above" but I'm already attached and really want them to thrive (don't we all)
I will deffinatly be watching close.

Does he do it any other time then when he's licking his ice bottle or drinking?

Sounds almost like he hasn't learned the whole drink it, don't breath it thing yet.

Shannon

did they come from the same place? if so I wouldn't worry at all for now
if they didn't i'd make sure they had no contact and put quarantine procedures in place :)

He only did it when drinking, licking or when he had his head in his bowl or right after. I have not noticed it as much or at all Saturday or this morning so far. Maybe he is just a slow learner.
Yes, they both came from the same place, and they are a closed herd of 2. So I'll just have to wait and see how things work out.
Thank goodness the heat is finally dropping. It was in the 60's this morning instead of waking up to high 70's<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:26 pm __________<br /><br />:? Well he still has the sneezes. The doe is still fine but I know that does not mean anything. He is still not "snotty" but I fear the worst. If the doe is bred she "should" have kits on the 31st.
Their cages are side by side is this going to be a problem? She has never sneezed that I know of but I figure being that close if he is infected so is she.

How does he seem, apart from the sneezes? Bursting with good health or a bit off?

If you are feeding hay, have you examined it for mould? Does it make you sneeze or get a stuffy nose when you handle it?

what are your plans for these rabbits? are they to breed for your meat production only?

If so.. don't worry on him. Unless he is actively blowing snot it should all be okay. Sometimes bunnies just sneeze and take a long time to get a hang of things.

it would be one thing if you were breeding top quality rabbits with the intent to sell to the unsuspecting public. But if all you have is one young bunny sneezing, you have no snot, and you are breeding for your own use... worry not. could be dust, allergies, odd mannerism, stress thing, water bottle, heat related or ..... (you understand?)

it's easy to become so educated that you worry too much about your animals. :)

Thumper doesn't sneeze, but Pearl has on and off ever since we got her. It does seem to be something to do with hay dust. She passed it on to her babies, too. They don't sneeze constantly, but enough. No snot, though. So I stopped worrying... these are just meat rabbits. Other than the sneezing, they are perfectly healthy.

I'm with Ladysown... if they're for your own use, and they are otherwise healthy, watch but don't worry. :)

So now I'll slow down on the worry. He eats well and hops skips and jumps around his hutch a lot! I think I just need something to worry about while I sit here and wonder if kits are comeing!

If only she could talk and tell us... Although what Rainbow has to say would probably need to be censerd :roll: I guess I'll start to worry about cleaning out the gararge. That is where they will be moving to once it start getting very cold out. I know they can handle the cold but I don't want to deal with the snow while I'm trying to care for them.

Latest posts

Back