If it's not one thing, it's a goat!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
Sigh.

I went out to feed the goats last night, and found Jock, my yearling Saanen buck, standing on three legs. When I felt the bad leg to see what he'd done, it moved in directions no leg should move. He's managed to break his back leg, just above the fetlock. :x Right before breeding season.

I put a splint on it and it's still on this morning. He's up and moving around, eating enthusiastically, so I have high hopes for a full recovery.

No idea how he could have done this - he's in with this year's crop of young bucklings, and he weighs twice as much as them!

If worst comes to worst, and he's not fit for breeding this year, I still have his son out of my best doe, so he could be used to breed all the girls, except his mother and sister.

Anybody got any comfrey?

Oh dear, that isn't good.
That is always the way it goes, they eat all year and then when its time for them to be useful they hurt themselves. :roll:

We have comfrey unless it's all dried up. :) I hope his leg heals.

He was in a pen with three older bucks, and was getting bullied, so I pulled him out (this was quite a few weeks ago)and let him babysit the young 'uns. He's such a quiet fellow, not one for bouncing off the walls and getting into mischief,so I'm quite puzzled.

Ah well, that's goats for you. He's now in a small pen with his Saanen son and I've redone his wrappings.

If you could find some comfrey roots that I could start a plant with, I'd be thrilled, Maggie. You could always mail it to me, and I'd have some for next year. I've heard it's very good feed for rabbits too.

I'll see what I can do, HCF. It's a jungle down there and I am still dragging around a bit after minor surgery. Could you remind me in a week or so if I don't get back to you about it?

Sure, no worries. Even in the spring is fine.

It isn't my week. :cry: Came home from work this afternoon to find my one and only lamb born this year lying dead behind the chicken coop. No wounds, no discharge, nothing to show cause of death, just lying flat on her side with her eyes open. Her mother is just distraught, even after I showed her the body, poor girl.

Latest posts

Back