Alfalfa Pellets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randtrabbitry

Reaction score
Ive been calling around trying to find a cheaper place to buy my feed. I want 17 percent but its over 11 dollars a bag. So for know im feeding 15 percent $10.05 a bag. I called a mill and they sell Alfalfa pellets for rabbits $6.25. So im wondering can i supplement my fryers i can feed them a cup of this a day along with there feed? If i remember the adults cant have alot of alfalfa is this right? I thought about giving my does that are pregnant or milking a little a day of the pellets not much if its ok.
By the way if your in sw mo and your feed is cheaper let me know.

Check out the natural feeding section for info on pellet free feeding. I think that if you were to buy the alfalfa pellets, It may be easier to just buy the alfafa bales and think about cutting back on pellets altogether. Of course, that would depend on if you had somewhere to put your bales...I'm sure someone with actual experience (unlike me) will chime in! :)

Save money kind of yes plus i though i heard alfalfa is good for fryers to eat i though i read somewhere they gain better on it. I know fryers are supposed to have a higher protein level. I just figured it would be better to have that in there feeders then just food maybe im wrong. The guy who told me about it told me thats all i would have to feed my buns is that true i though you had to supplement with alfalfa. O there alfalfa was 17 percent
On a good note i found Cargill rabbit feed 16 percent for 7.79 a bag. Anyone have experience with cargrill.

I would stick with a pelleted Rabbit feed because it is a balanced diet in and of itself.
I would go the extra dollar or two and buy a higher Protein level feed 18%.
You will find that your rabbits eat less and are able to maintain/improve condition
on that lower amount of feed. Rabbits belly's are only so big, so perhaps they cannot
eat enough of the 17% feed to allow them to gain the weight.
Just a suggestion, I feed 18% to the whole herd and it costs $11.50 per 50# bag.
Dennis, C.V.R.

I found a feed store not far from here that sales ADM in 18 percent. After looking it up it looks like its called Pen pal ive heard good things about them plus it has alfalfa in it and since we will be doing lots of breeding per yr and for the price $10.40 a bag.
I just noticed one of my does with babies is skin and bones must be the 15 percent feed i have them on. Last yr when i had rabbits they were on 17 percent and i would feed 13 ounces of feed for the first 2 weeks then i start adding a little more every day tell there is leftovers in the feeder. Since she was so skinny ive put her on free feed so she can get her weight up and feed the babies. I learned my lesson anything less then 16 percent is no good at least in my option. Ill go get a bag Monday and get them switched slowly.

Does with kits should be free fed. But sometimes the does are competing with the kits for feed, so weaning at five or six weeks is good rather than leaving them with the doe until 8 or 10 weeks.

I seen some litters have a jump in weight gain after the doe is taken out.

Oats is a good supplement that is safe for does and kits.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

I've been putting 2 extra feed "trays" in the pens with kits and does. Something long and not real deep...chick feeders work really well. The kits all get a place at the dinner table, and I keep them topped up. ONE J-feeder type that the doe seems to dominate because it's up at her head height.

In the angora colony, I just put out 2 deepdish pie pan type trays and they all have room, it seems. There's also a LOT of alfalfa hay in there.

Just an FYI but Mazuri Chinchilla feed is 20% protein and I usually get 50lbs for $12.99. It's got the same ingredients as the rabbit feed but they up the protein.

It is my understanding that rabbit pellets are all alfalfa. Its the the kind made with Timothy that's hard to find. Yes Pen Pals is a reputable feed and I know a lot of show breeders that use it.

Devon's Mom Lauren":u5fw4qyv said:
It is my understanding that rabbit pellets are all alfalfa. Its the the kind made with Timothy that's hard to find. Yes Pen Pals is a reputable feed and I know a lot of show breeders that use it.

I'm assuming you mean that almost all brands of rabbit pellets are alfalfa-based, rather than timothy-based. Rabbit pellets contain many other ingredients as well, however. There are also alfalfa pellets that are made ONLY from alfalfa, with no other ingredients. I'm sorry to get picky about semantics and grammar, but I think we need clarity when discussing feeds.

Back