Here are videos of Bart

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jasharia

Reaction score
Here is Bart he is even wors today. I talked to the breeder and she thinks after she sold his (to the girl I got him from) he must have gotten hurt or somthing. She thinks I should put him down. I just love him so much I don't think I can do it. I don't have money right now to bring him to the vet as we are moving soon. What would you guys do?

taken today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyrNOXA87I

Taken Thur while I was on hold with Blizzard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MydZmj8EXjs

That is a sorry sight!
I would put the bunny down and take him out of his misery.
Living? like that is NOT a good life.
I think that the person or persons that sold you that rabbit
should be listed so that nobody else makes the mistake of purchasing from them.
They are an abomination to the rabbit industry/ALL rabbit breeders.
That rabbit should never have left their rabbit pen.
I just know that they were/are not rabbit breeders.
You would never get a rabbit in that condition to leave a responsible rabbit breeders barn,
unless it was on a plate. The seller should be ashamed of themselves!
I am so sorry that you had to deal with a person with such poor salesmanship.
I guess they don't care about future sales as long as they can dump/unload
rabbits they don't want nor have a need for on the unsuspecting.
I understand that you love the bunny, but if you really do, you will put him down
and end his misery. As always, JMPO.
Dennis, C.V.R.

That is so sad. He looks absolutely miserable. I am sorry that you were sold a rabbit like that, only to get get attatched to him...

What is a good way to put him down that wont cost an arm and leg. I know the vet will cost the vet visit $35 plus the shot $65 What can I do?

Jasharia,
I do understand and it is always hard to put a rabbit down.
Sometimes we have to do what is right for the animal/Pet
even though we would prefer not to. Nothing is ever easy, if it was everyone would do it.
I am talking about raising and caring for rabbits. Things are just not always rosy!
I have put many a rabbit down that I really didn't want to, but there was no one else
so I could not pass the Buck [No pun intended]. We do what we must and pray that we've
made the right choice. I don't envy your task at hand, I think of when I was a young boy and My Shepard
Had displasia, he had to be put down. I must have cried for days. He was my best friend and a great companion.
Losing a Pet of any kind is a very tough situation, and having to make that decision makes it
that much tougher. I know you will make the right decision when the time comes.
Dennis, C.V.R.

Jasharia":2mq496mi said:
What is a good way to put him down that wont cost an arm and leg. I know the vet will cost the vet visit $35 plus the shot $65 What can I do?

Do you have any reputable Rabbit Breeders in your area?
I am sure they would put him down for you most humanely.
If have a 22 cal you could shoot the rabbit,
some use very high powered pellet guns.
I cannot see paying an exorbitant fee to a Vet,
besides if the Vet misses his mark it can be very painful for the rabbit.
Breeders will use a blunt instrument and give a solid whack at the back of the neck.
This breaks the neck and they die instantly. Do not do this yourself if you have no experience.
When the rabbit dies the legs may kick, but they are not alive.
The kicking of the legs is just nerves. I hope that's not too much information

I agree that you need to put this rabbit out of its misery. I know it is hard, but it is the best thing for the rabbit... and that is what you have to think about. If you have a pellet gun or can borrow one, I think that is easiest. It is quick and humane and the rabbit will not know what is about to happen, so you don't have to worry about that aspect of it. The broomstick method is also humane.

If you use the pellet gun, place the muzzle right next to the back of the rabbit's neck, just below the skull and fire at point-blank range. This will ensure that you do not miss and that the gun has enough force to kill instantly. Make sure the rabbit is not on a hard surface like concrete or stone that could cause the pellet to ricochet. You could put him in a cardboard box on grass or earth. If you are not accustomed to using guns, get someone to help you or choose a different method.

the breeder sold him to you in this state? SHAME on that breeder!

I would bring him back to the breeder and say YOU put him out of his misery. AND demand that they do so ethically. You sold me this rabbit and you want ME to put him down - your additional cost/agony? (that is basically what they are saying to you).

Otherwise I'd find a reputable breeder in the area and say please, will you kill my rabbit for me?
or find a hunter who can do the deed.

JMHO... i just find this deporable that a breeder could do that you. it's just not right.

Before we get too carried away at bashing the breeder, we need to remember that the rabbit was in a third person's care before Jasharia got him. So we do not know for certain if this illness/injury was in evidence when the breeder last saw the rabbit.

The breeder, however, must be familiar with humane ways to euthanize a suffering rabbit. Jasharia, is it possible to ask the breeder to help you end this animal's suffering?

Yea it was not the breeder. She is a wonderful lady and did not want to sell this bunny as he was doing well in the show 2 legs and he was under 1 year when this girl I got him from got him. Some time in the time she had him and I got him he was hurt or something. The breed I saw her at the show and talked to her about him. She was upset that Bart is in this codition. I told her I tried gave him free range of the kitchen, gave him supplents and pain meds with no change.<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:28 pm __________<br /><br />Well it is done. I let him play all day out of his cage running around then I helb him and he was making a wimppering nosie so I new what I had to do. Thank you for all your help.
RIP Bart I will miss you. Know that you will be thought of every time a look at your son. I love you.

ah, so sorry that Bart had to go, so glad he could spend his last times with someone who cared for him well.

sorry that I misunderstood about the breeder. Good breeder as she did try to help and offered constructive advice. My apologies regarding that end of things.

Thanks. I kept thinking about him last night I could not sleep. I think he was asking me when I was holding him and he let out a nosie. He was a wonderful buck never did anything wrong. I am keeping 2 of his babies Bubba a buck that looks just like him and a rew doe with the body just like him.

Latest posts

Back