New pet, STO YAY

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LV426

Reaction score
So 20 years ago my dad got me a birthday present, a brazilian short tailed opossum. He had smuggled her out of the lab he worked in. She hadn't been used for any experiments but they were done with their research and they were going to euthanize the rest of the colony. SOoooo he smuggled her out to me. Marcy Marsupial was my best little friend and lived in my pocket for most of her life lol. She lived to be 7 years old which for a STO is a long time. But I was never able to have another one because I couldn't very well break into labs and steal opossums.

Well I found this one at the Tacoma Humane Society. They called her a Kachita. I was there looking for a rabbit but when I asked the girl what a Kachita was she showed me and I was all SQUEEEEEEEE!

She is 5 months old and the sweetest little opossum ever. So now she has a big cage and a big wheel and a little house to live in.

Sorry about the pics they are from my cellphone and a little blurry cause she moves fast.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

i had never heard of one before today. Interesting looking little beastie. :) Enjoy her.

Do you think you'll be able to tame her down like your first one?

Oh she's very tame. She doesn't bite or anything. She just will have to be trained not to poop in my pocket. lol

Since she's still a baby the good temperment is a good sign. Some are very nervous and will bite and they have really sharp pointy teeth. She has a lot of energy and likes to explore especially since right now everything is new to her. But I had her on my shoulder and went to show her to the neighbors and she was very much inclined to get back to me and hide in my hair at strange noises (kids started setting off fireworks down the street).

I take that as a good sign that she will bond with me.

Very cute. I had never heard of one either. Thanks for sharing!

Well looks like the STOs are coming out of the woodwork because I found another one at the Everett Humane Society. So I went and adopted him. Oscar is is name. He's bigger than Germs my other one, but he's soooo calm and relaxed. He's the best little buddy ever. Of course Germs thinks he's a smelly boy and wants to throw rocks at him but he wants to be her friend. But opossums are solitary so they have to live in separate cages.

ry%3D400

Back