FLAX SEED (THE RESULTS)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can get canned pineapple, and canned pineapple juice, not going to get anything fresh this time of year. I can get dried papaya. Banana is probably the easiest.

I would think since the theory is that you want to make the hair ball free of sticky food and so the rabbit can pass a little at a time, I would use the flax seed as a maintenence supplement to the feed. That should keep wool block from occurring in the first place. And when they are blowing coat I would feed a bit of banana, Papaya, or pineapple a couple of times a week just to be on the safe side. I think the flax seed may be enough in itself. I am going to try it with mine as soon as I can get to the store to pick some up. I hope the health food store still carries it cheap cuz I only want a small like 1 pound bag at a time.

__________ Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:20 pm __________

I gave all of mine banana when I noticed my Sr buck wasn't eating much or drinking. He now eats and drinks the most of all of them. :)

I would stick with the banana because the canned all has so much added junk in it.

Banana sounds interesting, but since I don't give fruit to my rabbits until they are 7 months old, the timothy hay has worked very well for me. I do give dried papaya at 7 months.

Have you ever thought of buying your timothy hay on line? Being from the suburbs it is tough trying to find the right supplies for your livestock. And at a reasonable price. I've been doing some research on how I can cut down my hay costs. Buying bags at the pet store is starting to creep up. Need to learn to buy in bulk.

Found a few sites but this one looked interesting

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area ... &topic=hay

Karen

ZRabbits":3v5n2d7h said:
I've been doing some research on how I can cut down my hay costs. Buying bags at the pet store is starting to creep up. Need to learn to buy in bulk.

craigslist always has hay ads in the farm and garden section. (I should use my own CL more often...I pay like twice as much at the feed store b/c it's so convenient.

I am going to start buying my timothy hay in the compact 50 pound bales from tractor supply. I don't want any alfalfa in it and the farmers here all plant a mix that is good for dairy cattle. I sold off all of my hay because I wanted pure timothy for my rabbits.

I am feeling pretty lucky that there is a Rural King and a Tractor Supply Company both in Terra Haute. So I will be able to get the manna SHO easily there.

The fruit is only given if your rabbit is showing signs of wool block. Not as a maintenance thing. I don't normally give any of my rabbits fruit or Veggies but if it is needed to keep them alive at times, then I'm all for it. I have one now that I have noticed isn't eating as well as the other three JW so he will get banana tonight.

I am also picking up flaxseed today and starting my Woolies on a maintenance dose of that daily. !/4 teaspoon should do it. :)<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:09 am __________<br /><br />

ZRabbits":1wlsuqpr said:
Banana sounds interesting, but since I don't give fruit to my rabbits until they are 7 months old, the timothy hay has worked very well for me. I do give dried papaya at 7 months.

Have you ever thought of buying your timothy hay on line? Being from the suburbs it is tough trying to find the right supplies for your livestock. And at a reasonable price. I've been doing some research on how I can cut down my hay costs. Buying bags at the pet store is starting to creep up. Need to learn to buy in bulk.

Found a few sites but this one looked interesting

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/webapp?area ... &topic=hay

Karen

Buying on line is way too expensive for the amount of rabbits I have. I don't usually wait that long to feed fresh greens or fruit, they nibble on whatever the doe has, and even though I am feeding mainly pellets, every one gets something green every once and awhile, especially those with kits, so in the few instances that I had to feed greens while waiting to get pellets, they would have the right amount of gut flora.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 am __________<br /><br />I checked the site. Looks interesting, but there are no current ads in Ohio.

I mean to work them up to 1/4 teaspoon. :oops: I have been researching the benefits of flax seed elsewhere as well. But I should have specified that I will be working them up to a maintenance dose in which I figure 1/4 teaspoon of Flax seed should do the trick. I am looking to use flax seed to help with wool block, not so much for reproduction. If my bunz have wool block I want the slippery effect. :) That and the reason I am switching to Manna Pro Sho is because of the added papaya to help prevent wool block. :)

Craigslist ads for hay still result in a drive that is 50 miles away. I'm stuck with the Timothy/alfalfa mix for now from TSC. I am assuming that my local health store will have the whole Flax seeds. I got a $2 coupon for MannaPro, I'm thinking instead of buying BOSS I would use the extra money for the price difference between Pro and Show/Grow formulas.

There is a graph on the bottom of this page to compare the three Manna Pro Select feeds:

http://www.mannapro.com/products/rabbit ... ries-feed/

__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:01 pm __________

Select Series SHO Formula Rabbit Food is a complete feed for show rabbits. A well-known and trusted brand among rabbit breeders. Contains Yucca Extract for improved palatability and odor control. Made with Manna E, our exclusive blend of probiotic bacteria, enzymes and yeast for improved digestion. Contains 16% protein.

Taken from the tractor supply product page:

http://www.tractorsupply.com/select-ser ... b--2520014

I read somewhere that it aids in reproduction too.

I use MannaPro now. I'm just thinking, instead of buying BOSS, take the same extra $10-20 and upgrade to the higher protein Manna Pro formulas. And then adding the Flax seed, I don't need the BOSS.

skysthelimit":2l0v3c7o said:
Craigslist ads for hay still result in a drive that is 50 miles away.

We have to drive 50 miles to go grocery shopping! :lol:

Do you know anyone that has a truck? We can fit 22 bales in the bed of our Ford F-250. Or a vehicle with a trailer hitch? You would have to do the math, but it might be cost effective to rent a U-Haul flatbed trailer for a day and go buy a dozen bales or more.

MamaSheepdog":erm532wy said:
skysthelimit":erm532wy said:

Do you know anyone that has a truck? We can fit 22 bales in the bed of our Ford F-250. Or a vehicle with a trailer hitch? You would have to do the math, but it might be cost effective to rent a U-Haul flatbed trailer for a day and go buy a dozen bales or more.

My dad has a truck, but he's not gonna let me put hay in it. I was thinking something like, but then I have to store them. I have no where for them to go that they won;t get wet or peed on.
50 miles away to shop? That is the thing that keeps me in the city. Walmart is within walking distance, grocery stores are so close it's almost a shame to drive there.

And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds. I will order from eBay.<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 pm __________<br /><br />Got a question. I dust my feed with DE, doesn't stop the rabbits from eating. Why can't I dust the feed with milled or ground flax seed as well?

Started Luna on a pinch of flax seed. My husband found them (whole) at the health store. Will start the rest of the Tribe on it tomorrow morning. Will let you know how they all do. Luna really enjoyed the Flax, BTW. Husband also picked up some sunflower seeds as well.

Karen

skysthelimit":16sz970v said:
And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds.
sky, you can find flax seed where you are.. In the grocery store in the baking section .. You can find it there. Or walmart has it in the baking section also.... everyone carries it.

__________ Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:12 am __________

ZRabbits":16sz970v said:
Started Luna on a pinch of flax seed. My husband found them (whole) at the health store. Will start the rest of the Tribe on it tomorrow morning. Will let you know how they all do. Luna really enjoyed the Flax, BTW. Husband also picked up some sunflower seeds as well.

Karen
That is good to hear Karen...it is really good for there immune system :)<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:15 am __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":16sz970v said:

My dad has a truck, but he's not gonna let me put hay in it. I was thinking something like, but then I have to store them. I have no where for them to go that they won;t get wet or peed on.
50 miles away to shop? That is the thing that keeps me in the city. Walmart is within walking distance, grocery stores are so close it's almost a shame to drive there.

And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds. I will order from eBay.

__________ Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:39 pm __________

Got a question. I dust my feed with DE, doesn't stop the rabbits from eating. Why can't I dust the feed with milled or ground flax seed as well?
It loses its nutrients fast. Alot of it gets wasted.. Rabbits dont eat ground up food like chickens can.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":2yiyt8y0 said:
skysthelimit":2yiyt8y0 said:
And still I cannot find whole Flax Seeds.
sky, you can find flax seed where you are.. In the grocery store in the baking section .. You can find it there. Or walmart has it in the baking section also.... everyone carries it.

I went there yesterday, they only have milled and ground. Checked the baking aisle and health food aisle. Walmart is very regional, depending on where you are, you can even get pelleted horse feed, but urban store does not carry it.

Latest posts

Back