Wanting to breed for a vienna gene buck...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
Okay, now that I am pretty sure my doe has a vienna gene, I want to use er to get a viena buck, to breed back and get blue-eyed white kits! (under, of course, the guise of merely breeding for the table ;) )

I have also heard that californian bred to anything only makes more californian colored rabbits. Is this true? If it is, will I have o breed to a different buck to see the vienna gene come out in the kits?

Does this make sence?

I bred a cali to a mutt and didn't always get californian colored kits. We got dilute brokens and much darker himilayans, as I remember, some like mom, some like pop. However I am not an expert at all!

Now Shara, repeat after me--only for the freezer, only for the freezer...you and I may need a 12-step program...Uh-oh...

eco2pia":r9ckcnae said:
Now Shara, repeat after me--only for the freezer, only for the freezer...you and I may need a 12-step program...Uh-oh...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On that note, Shara, I have read that some people have trouble sending blue-eyed whites to freezer camp. For real.

well, okay, If I got a blue eyed white (or two) I would probably keep them :tomato: although don't tell my hubby that! :p

Eco2pia, we are in neighboring states! Maybe you and me and some OTHER poeple that live close to here (don't worry, I won't mention names, Paula) could start the very first one!!! :mrgreen:

Lol. Still, I think it would be VERY cool, no?

I really neeeeed to move to the country. Grrr....Or find out that I can have as many rabbits as I like. Or just hide them! What big brother don't know won't hurt him! :annihilate: Lol.

What makes you think she has the vienna gene? Rabbits with the Vienna gene almost always have random white markings or blue patches on the eye/entirely blue eye(s). They occasionally have the gene but just don't show it or have markings that mask the Vienna effect. They will also throw 50% normal kits with normal pattern and 50% vienna marked or vienna carriers in their litters when bred to a buck with normal pattern.

In order to get a Viennal buck, breed her and keep a buck showing random white markings. Breed that buck back to her, and you'll get 25% BEW, 50% VM/VC, and 25% normal rabbits...

she has a white spot on her nose. It was the opinion of most that she carriesa vienn a gene. Whether she does or not doesnt really matter, because she is such a sweetie and a great momma, but the only buck I have now is a californian, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to tell in the kits, since I had heard all half breed californians look cali. I know now that isn't he case :D. Knowing my luck, though, if I DID get another vienna marked rabbit out of her (assuming she does have the gene) it would be a doe... lol.

Ok, so what color is she? I could tell you how likely you are to get certain colors. =D The colors you get will depend on her genotype too! :)

I really like the info on the Lonestar Rabbitry site.

BEW X BEW = 100% BEW (or REW masking BEW - This is still genetically a BEW)
BEW X "Normal" = 100% Vienna carriers, 0% BEW
Vienna Carrier X Vienna Carrier = 25% BEW, 50% Vienna carriers, 25% "Normal"
Vienna Carrier X BEW = 50% BEW, 50% Vienna carriers
Vienna Carriers X "Normal" = 25% Vienna Carriers, 75% "Normal", 0% BEW
http://www.lonestarrabbitry.com/

Californians are similar, genetically, to REW, right?

any-ideas-t1131.html

That link has lots of pics of her, some inside, some in full sun.She has not been in the sun that I know of to get burnt, and has been with me for a few months, through a molt, and color hasn't changed. Don't know what color she is, but would LOVE to know!

She looks to be black or a very dark seal. Is she a bit lighter on her belly than on her back? The brown mottled coat in those pictures is just dead molty fur...

And, no, REW is not always similar to Cali. The REW is basically an albino, so it could genetically be anything.

If she's Black, then you'll get about 50% normal Black and 50% VM/VC Black. If a VM/VC buck is bred back to her, you'll get 25% BEW, 50% VM/VC Black, and 25% normal Black. This is only if the parents don't carry any hidden alleles...

If she's Seal and doesn't carry any hidden alleles, then you'll get about 50% normal Siamese Sable and 50% VM/VC Siamese Sable. If a VM/VC buck is bred back to her, you'll get 25% BEW, 50% VM/VC Siamese Sables and Seals, and 25% normal Siamese Sables and Seals.

Good luck! =D<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:32 pm __________<br /><br />Oh! And the percenatages you got from that website are ALMOST right... The Vienna Carrier X Normal will be 50% VM/VC and 50% Normal, not 75% Normal and 25% VM/VC. The vienna gene is recessive, so you need 2 copies to make a BEW. One copy of the BEW gene and one copy of the normal gene will be Vienna Marked/Carrier, and having 2 copies of the normal gene makes a normal rabbit.

Your doe is Vv since she has one normal(V) and one vienna(v) gene. The buck is VV since he has 2 normal alleles. In a punnet square:

V v
V VV Vv

V VV Vv

The top V and v represent the doe and the V and V going vertically down the left side represent the buck. The 4 pairs in the middle represent the offspring. So, 50% will be normal(VV) and 50% will be VM/VC(Vv)...

So, if say some enabler (no worries, I won't mention my name) took Shara an agouti buck that was vm, would there be a possibility of a BEW? Wouldn't one have to be white? Geesh, I'm just barely treading water here.

Im curently working on BEW Holland lops,much too my surprise my tort buck is a vienna carrier as his babies are vienna marked and some have blue eyes.Hes got no white marks but his mother was a BEW.

So, am I right in thinking that a blue eyed white x non vienna gene rabbit would equal all either vienna marked or carriers?

Latest posts

Back