New Zealand colors, 4-H

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eco2pia

Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, I have non-(or partial)pedigreed NZ red doe, so for the record it doesn't really matter what I do with her, I don't really want to show, ever--I did alot of showing as a kid with horses and the whole show thing kinda makes my stomach icky to this day.

But I was wanting to keep my options open for the 4-H ers in my life and I was wondering, how does one breed NZ's for show? Not asking about breed standard here, asking how far pedigrees go back, and if with NZ show critters, is breeding a red to a broken is considered good, bad, or ugly? Are NZ breeders trying to stablize color lines or just type?

'Cause I personally like the grab-bag effect in my nest boxes, but if some little 4-h'er wants to do well, I don't want to steer them wrong. And in my group of mom's I'm the farm-y one, so this question WILL come up for me. I think in 4-H you can even show mutts, but I just like to have all the infromation.

I don't even have a pair I can breed until September and I have two old salts wanting rabbit meat, and two young families wanting 4-H babies!

edited because I can't spell.

It has been years since I was around rabbit shows. I don't think that "broken" NZ of any kind are a recognized standard, but I may be wrong. Since you are in the US, google ARBA, and they will give you information of the current color classes for New Zealands. It would also be the place that would give you the pedigree requirements for being "purebred", which I think is 3 generations. Like I say, I am woefully out of touch but ABRA would have the answers. 4-H or some county fairs may allow "off pattern" colors in their "meat pen" entries, you would have to check specifically.

I would be interested int his, too, since I have broken NZ does, andwill be getting a solid red buck eventually...I don't really plaan on showing myself, but it would be interesting to know these things in case I ever do show...

As a former 4H rabbit project leader, I would recommend they start with solid colored NZ rabbits with full pedigrees (3 generations).

Full pedigrees gives them the best options for selling rabbits, trading or breeding, allowing them to get a good price above the $5 for a meat rabbit. Even a partial pedigree is better than no pedigree. Record keeping is part of the 4H program so keeping pedigrees and breeding records is appropriate.

Broken pattern NZ are recognized for ARBA shows, but the markings have specific requirements that have to be met. This can be problematic since not every kit in a litter will meet the requirement.

Using solid colors allows a breeder to focus on body type and fur quality. As a rule, in NZ rabbits they are bred to same colors black/black, white/white, red/red. This reduces the chances of genetic color conflicts in breeding.

Occasionally there is crossing of the colors, usually to improve body type in another color. After doing this there should be strict culling/removal of any oddball colors that occur.

Here is the website of American Federation of New Zealand Rabbit Breeders
http://www.newzealandrabbitclub.net/

If the 4H members are planning to enter in the fair for meat pens (pen of 3) and fryer competition, please see my article on my website:
http://www.rabbitgeek.com/meatpennotes.html

Even if you don't enter a rabbit show yourself, you might want to visit a show in your area to see examples of NZ and other breeds. If you go to this website, you will find a list of shows by state with contact info for the show secretary, who can give you info on where and when. Usually there is no admission fee for the show for visitors.
http://arba.net/Shows.htm

4H members in a rabbit project should be familiar with the ARBA Standard of Perfection. Although some 4H programs allow "pet quality" animals to be entered into rabbit shows, I encourage the use of rabbits that conform to the ARBA Standard of Perfection. At least the rabbit should be a proper example of its breed and free from disqualifications (DQs) for show like wrong color eyes or mismatched toenail colors. "No DQs" should be the first goal. If we can stay on the table, we have a shot at the blue ribbon.

A 4H bunny should be a showbunny. A showbunny can be a pet, but not all pets can be a showbunny.

Have a good day!
Franco Rios

avdpas77":3ca9ufvo said:
Like I say, I am woefully out of touch but ABRA would have the answers. 4-H or some county fairs may allow "off pattern" colors in their "meat pen" entries, you would have to check specifically.

I wanted to mention that most meat pen contests are held to ARBA rules.

If a patterned rabbit does not meet the requirements for the pattern, (too much color, not enough color, no butterfly marking on nose) than the rabbit can be disqualified (DQ) from the meat pen or fryer contest.

Just so people are aware.

Have a good day!

Can you display mutt rabbits in 4-H? I know you can't show them, but can you just have the rabbit there on display, so your kids get to "show off" their rabbits, even if they can't "show" them or enter them into contests?

It really depends on what the policy of the 4H program in your area is. In California, more than half the shows are held under ARBA rules, which means no pet class, while other shows are not ARBA so pet class is allowed.

I would like to mention that 4H volunteers can steer the direction of the program. So if you would like to see pet classes in your shows, get involved with the program. Most 4H programs have a shortage of volunteers.

Have a good day!

Here in Wisconsin 4-H they have a class in each species just for kids and their "mutts". No pedigrees necessary. The "mutt" classes for rabbits would be something like "meat type rabbit"; "fiber type rabbit" "dwarf breed rabbit". As I recall, they don't allow purebreds in the "mutt" classes. Or maybe it was more of a "doesn't qualify for the purebred classes" type of thing.

Latest posts

Back