strange deaths

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladycrotalus

Reaction score
Its only happening with the mom and 11 babies i rescued.
In large dog crate i have 4 bucks. In another cage i had 5 bucks. In another cage i have the mom and 2 does.
First death was a black buck in the cage with 5. I attributed that to heat stroke.
Second death was a white buck in that same cage. It wasn't showing anything wrong. No wounds, no diarrhea, no wetness around nose and mouth.
Third death was another white buck from that same cage. Same thing, no symptoms or wounds. In fact they were hopping around and doing binkys and eating and drinking fine.
The does are fine, the 4 bucks in the dog crate are fine. All my other rabbits are fine. My senior dutch is fine. Nothing has changed. Same food, same hay, same bedding.
So frustrating. :wall:
Any ideas?

Since all the deaths were in the same cage, I'd get the cage with the remaining two bucks well away from everybunny else and put strict isolation protocols in effect. Sounds to me like there is something contagious going on.

It sucks. You try to do a good deed and it turns around and bites you. Be very careful not to infect your own stock.

OH, wait a minute. How old are these rabbits? A lot of people have been having trouble with weaning enteritis. Just a thought.

MaggieJ":2g129sfz said:
Since all the deaths were in the same cage, I'd get the cage with the remaining two bucks well away from everybunny else and put strict isolation protocols in effect. Sounds to me like there is something contagious going on.

It sucks. You try to do a good deed and it turns around and bites you. Be very careful not to infect your own stock.

OH, wait a minute. How old are these rabbits? A lot of people have been having trouble with weaning enteritis. Just a thought.

I think i just accidentally reported you. Wasn't paying attention to the buttons, sorry.

All of the bucks were together for a couple weeks then they started getting too big for the cage and i separated 4 in the crate and 5 in the other one. They are all defecating and urinating normally. I am just assuming that the larger doe that is the size of a holland lop is the mom. It just isn't logical that she could have had 11 kits. Although one of the does looks identical to her. When i found them they were about the size of 5-6 week olds. They are about 11 weeks now. I never noticed anyone nursing.

don't sweat the report - easily taken care of ;)

that is very odd - I hope everybunny else is ok

Brody":13pw0jfo said:
don't sweat the report - easily taken care of ;)

that is very odd - I hope everybunny else is ok

I checked on the 2 living rew bucks tonight and they are acting fine. Although i slipped and made everybunny jump. I just hope when i go out in the morning to take care of everyone i dont find either of them dead.

What brand of pellets are you feeding. Maybe there is something in there that is only effecting them. I had that same rpblem for awhile too with a corn based feed. One cage of bunnies would be ok, The next day they'd be dead. Might want to get a necropsy done if you lose any more of them.

chinbunny1":1nq1tpcu said:
What brand of pellets are you feeding. Maybe there is something in there that is only effecting them. I had that same rpblem for awhile too with a corn based feed. One cage of bunnies would be ok, The next day they'd be dead. Might want to get a necropsy done if you lose any more of them.

Mana pro feed. Although i prefer Mana grow but the tsc in my town doesn't carry that kind. No corn. After reading your posts on byc i make sure there is no corn. If the feed was affecting only the rescues, then the 4 other bucks in the crate and the 3 does should be affected too but so far nothing. There is 1 other rew in the dog crate so i don't think its because they are albinos.

ladycrotalus":3pnxww1e said:
chinbunny1":3pnxww1e said:

Mana pro feed. Although i prefer Mana grow but the tsc in my town doesn't carry that kind. No corn. After reading your posts on byc i make sure there is no corn. If the feed was affecting only the rescues, then the 4 other bucks in the crate and the 3 does should be affected too but so far nothing. There is 1 other rew in the dog crate so i don't think its because they are albinos.

Thats the one I had issues with last year when I lost rabbits. :( They said there was no corn, and "no problems' with the feed, but there was. :( All the problems went away when I switched back to purina.

__________ Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:12 pm __________

hey I just read on the meat rabbits list there may be an issue with some trucking companies form tsc. Not sure what brand, but the feed they are getting is pretty moldy.

EDIT: Never mind, it is manna pro. Might be something worth looking into.

chinbunny1":32gq4hru said:

Thats the one I had issues with last year when I lost rabbits. :( They said there was no corn, and "no problems' with the feed, but there was. :( All the problems went away when I switched back to purina.

__________ Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:12 pm __________

hey I just read on the meat rabbits list there may be an issue with some trucking companies form tsc. Not sure what brand, but the feed they are getting is pretty moldy.

EDIT: Never mind, it is manna pro. Might be something worth looking into.[/quote]

I'll check around for other brands. I empty the 50# bag into a rubbermaid storage bin and nothing looks moldy and it smells fine. I go through it fast enough, so it doesn't get stale or anything. I really wanna get back onto manna gro, everyone did awesome on it.
I asked a sales associate at the tsc in town about special ordering it and she said it would be too much of a pain to do that.

I asked a sales associate at the tsc in town about special ordering it and she said it would be too much of a pain to do that.

Is there anyone else you can speak to? If the feeds are coming from the same plant, I don't see why it would be a pain to order it. It really speaks to their customer service skills when someone tells you that getting something 'special' for a paying customer is a pain. :soap:

pfaubush":2qglw1cv said:
It really speaks to their customer service skills when someone tells you that getting something 'special' for a paying customer is a pain. :soap:

I agree. TSC is the sort of company that is supposed to be able to handle all sorts of special orders. I would talk to management. I have plenty of retail experience, and our managers were constantly doing stuff... if one of my managers knew that one of us told a customer that doing anything for them was a pain, they would have had kittens! And this was just a small discount chain (like a small Walmart). You just didn't say stuff like that to customers.

I agree. TSC is the sort of company that is supposed to be able to handle all sorts of special orders. I would talk to management. I have plenty of retail experience, and our managers were constantly doing stuff... if one of my managers knew that one of us told a customer that doing anything for them was a pain, they would have had kittens! And this was just a small discount chain (like a small Walmart). You just didn't say stuff like that to customers.[/quote]

They'd have kittens. :lol:

I tried to get my local tsc to order feed too, and they wouldn't do it.

chinbunny1":39wxlkhv said:
I tried to get my local tsc to order feed too, and they wouldn't do it.

Wow. :shock:

They need to read their own website:
SPECIAL ORDER thousands of products

If you don't see it in our store or our Site, visit your local store and talk to a Team Member to choose from complete special order catalogs of more than 10,000 of your favorite brands and products.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/Servic...reId=10551&catalogId=10001&content=howToOrder

Seems like "more than 10,000" items in multiple special order catalogs would give you a good chance of finding what you're looking for. Weird that TSC would violate their own policy... though it certainly isn't the first time I've seen a store do that... :?

So far no one else has died *knock on wood*
I took the trip to the tsc that carries the manna pro gro formula and they were out. :wall:
So i picked up manna pro sho formula.
I will let everyone know how everybunny does on it.

Here is the comparitive.

Manna Pro Sho

Crude Protein (min.) 16.00 %, Crude Fat (min.) 3.50 %, Crude Fiber (min.) 18.00 %, Crude Fiber (max.) 23.00 %, Calcium (min.) 0.75 %, Calcium (max.) 1.25%, Phosphorus (min.) 0.55 %, Salt (min.) 0.25 %, Salt (max.) 0.75 %, Vitamin A (min.) 3,000 IU/lb.

Manna Pro Pro

Crude Protein (min.) 16.00 %, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50 %, Crude Fiber (min.) 16.00 %, Crude Fiber (max.) 21.00 %, Calcium (min.) 0.75 %, Calcium (max.) 1.25 %, Phosphorus (min.) 0.50 %, Salt (min.) 0.25 %, Salt (max.) 0.75 %, Vitamin A (min.) 3,000 IU/lb.

Manna Pro Gro

Crude Protein (min.)18.00 %, Crude Fat (min.) 2.50 %, Crude Fiber (min.) 16.00 %, Crude Fiber (max.) 21.00 %, Calcium (min.) 0.75 %, Calcium (max.) 1.25 %, Phosphorus (min.) 0.55 %, Salt (min.) 0.25 %, Salt (max.) 0.75 %, Vitamin A (min.) 3,000 IU/lb.

TSC carries Purina Complete which I was buying about 12 bags a month for about 6 months, decided to go with the Purina Show (no corn) spoke with the ordering manager and the actual store manager and they would not order the Purina Show for me. They said that they don't have the warehouse space in the back for special orders.

Luckily I found a feed store about 17 miles from me that will order it for me. I had to prepay my first 2 orders and now I can just call in what I need a week in advance and the following Friday it is there every week.

Pam

Well i spoke with a different lady at the tsc in my town and they are gonna try to get it in for me. However i needed it today but they won't be able to get it in until next thursday so i had to drive to the other one and pick up a bag. Atleast they are gonna try for me though.

Everybunny is still doing fine.<br /><br />__________ Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:24 pm __________<br /><br />
ladycrotalus":1lrfx1vq said:
Well i spoke with a different lady at the tsc in my town and they are gonna try to get it in for me. However i needed it today but they won't be able to get it in until next thursday so i had to drive to the other one and pick up a bag. Atleast they are gonna try for me though.

Everybunny is still doing fine.

Well i called today and they said they had it. So i went in and all they had was the pro version. I told the guy that i left my name and number last week and he started going off that the orders go in monday mornings and that no one wrote my info down and he was acting like i was such an inconvenience. I told him i go through a bag every week and i don't like having to drive to the other store due to the gas. Then he starts saying that i have to promise to buy the food every week from this store because something about he has to order 8 at a time and if i don't promise and i don't buy it then they have to throw feed out because it goes bad. It was bloody ridiculous.
I told him i was told it would be in. I didn't raise my voice. I was really annoyed but i didn't show it. His tone of voice was completely uncalled for. I told him i was completely out of food and he said he would get on the phone with the other store and have the driver put a bag on the truck for me and it would be here tomorrow.
If i didn't need the savings in gas i would stop doing business with this store. Here is what i don't understand. It is one whole company, the guy just acted like the other store is a huge competitor. Yet when i was in the other store last week, the sales associate directed these 2 customers to this store like it was no big deal for some big bag attachment for their mower.

Crazy! My TSC store offered to order the 18% stuff for me as they should. But they did say they could only get it every two weeks. I told them to hold off as I had just opened a bag and I only have 2 rabbits. I am leary of it because of what I have read about their shipping. We have 2 different feed stores in town that both carry mostly the same stuff, so they are really nice as they want to keep in business.

Back