Meat rabbit workshops, what would YOU pay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
If I had found someone to teach me how to raise and process meat rabbits at any point in my life I would have had rabbits for over 30 years. It took me a loooooooong time to just get teh courage to try it on my own and all that time was lost.

So I was thinking of giving local workshops on how to do it so people like me could take the plunge into rabbits and that made my hubby ask me "Well, how much would you charge?"

And I have NO IDEA what people would pay to take a work shop on how to keep, breed, raise, process and cook rabbits!

So, what do you think its worth?

I have been mulling this over too. I was thinking $50, which includes a live rabbit that they get walked thru butchering and can take home with them. Or, $100 and a meat rabbit trio to take home with them.

I am actually taking a rabbit butchering and tanning workshop next weekend. The instructor has set up a sliding scale charge of $40-60. So if you feel you can afford the $60, you pay that. If money is tight and you only feel comfortable paying $40, you pay that.
I would make the rabbit price separate though, because most of the people attending this workshop in particular already have rabbits. Just a thought.

Good luck! Pass on the know-how!

SarahMelisse":1bxdnysg said:
I would make the rabbit price separate though, because most of the people attending this workshop in particular already have rabbits. Just a thought.

In order for someone to really learn to butcher, they have to do it "hands on" so the $50 option includes the cost of the rabbit that they are going to be butchering and taking home. I thought about having a $25 option where folks bring their own rabbit to butcher, but then that raisies the issue of disease being possibly brought onto my farm and so I nixed that idea. The other option, the $100 class would be for new people...

OneAcreFarm":34clkq5x said:
SarahMelisse":34clkq5x said:

In order for someone to really learn to butcher, they have to do it "hands on" so the $50 option includes the cost of the rabbit that they are going to be butchering and taking home. I thought about having a $25 option where folks bring their own rabbit to butcher, but then that raisies the issue of disease being possibly brought onto my farm and so I nixed that idea. The other option, the $100 class would be for new people...
That's a good point. I wouldn't want people bringing their own rabbits for the same reason you noted. But I would also be really specific and say that the $50 includes a rabbit for you to butcher and take home. Maybe that wasn't clear enough (for me anyway) before.

I like this idea! My only problem would be setting up the processing stations... I suppose we could do it in the kitchen, except for the killing and skinning. :thinking:

I think it would be important to more than one method of humanely dispatching them... I could show the pellet gun versus whacking the back of the head. I don't have a wringer, and am not interested in broom-sticking.

For those that have their own rabbits already, perhaps a discount could be given if they don't want to take their processed "project rabbit" home. I think most people would find it easier to eat a rabbit that they haven't raised themselves the first time, so I doubt many people would use that option, but they might if their budget was especially tight.

MamaSheepdog":3vjptjcc said:
For those that have their own rabbits already, perhaps a discount could be given if they don't want to take their processed "project rabbit" home. I think most people would find it easier to eat a rabbit that they haven't raised themselves the first time, so I doubt many people would use that option, but they might if their budget was especially tight.

:goodpost: Good idea, Sistah! You must have the brain today..... :mrgreen:

Someone in my area did that and now shes recieving death threats.it was all over the news.I dont even want people too know i raise rabbits.i took down my sign.

curlysue":u8wgcjif said:
Someone in my area did that and now shes recieving death threats.it was all over the news.I dont even want people too know i raise rabbits.i took down my sign.

The best reason ever for NOT doing it at home! Find a venue to set up at and NEVER give any home information!

Back