himalayan in mini rex

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
Can himalayan be carried in a chocolate without showing it? According to the paper work I was given my chocolate buck threw a himalayan chocolate and my chocolate doe is out of a himalayan chocolate. So in my hopefully upcoming litter from them what are the odds I'll get himalayans? Not that I'll know what I'm looking at since I've never seen any point colored rabbits.

Yep. Himalayan is a recessive gene, that is dominant to white.

So if he has a Himi in his pedigree he can carry it, if bred to a himi, a rabbit that carried himi, or rew, he would be able to produce it without he himself actually being a Himi.

Pointed rabbits are pointed like Siamese (or Himalayan) cats. If I'm not mistaken, most pointed rabbit babies would look white at first, with the points showing up a couple of weeks later or so.

Not like I'm some expert. Just passing on what I've read... :lol:

So himalayan is recessive and it takes 2 genes to make the color show. The chocolate buck produced a himalayan which means he's probably carrying one. The doe is out of a himalayan who most likely carried 2 copies so she got one. Therefore, if we put them together we get a 25% chance of himalayan, 50% carrying himalayan aka split, and 25% without any copy of the gene. Since the rest of the litter should be chocolate (slight chance of lilac) it should be easy to pick out the new born himalayans as much lighter than the chocolates. Right?

Quick related question that make might all that not work out so neatly. Both have rew as great grandparents but could they carry rew and himalayan without displaying either? From what I gathered if they carried both they would display the more dominant one which is himalayan. If that's true then there's a chance the himalayan came from the other side and the buck was passing on rew so could the himalayan offspring of the buck and dam of the doe be rew/himalayan and potentially pass on the rew instead? Or am I wrong and they have to be carrying himalayan?

Latest posts

Back