Breeding/selecting for show

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
How do you breed for show or select your show stock. Or what advice do you have to give to those looking for show?

I received a ton of advice when I started showing rabbits. So I'll share that.

1.) Never keep anything you would not show. Unless the faults are not genetic, like a missing ear from an overzealous mother. For small breeds don't keep over-sized, for large breeds don't keep undersized.

2.) Colour LAST. (Unless you breed Harlequins, or any other marked breed) For most breeds colour has very little impact on the overall point system, and it's also the easiest aspect to fix on a rabbit. In one generation you can fix a tort otter, it may take 8 took fix bad shoulders. So when selecting which rabbits to breed, breed the ones who compliment each other type wise, you may not have anything to show in one generation, but you'll have improved your type and a mere 6 months or so later you can have the colour fixed.

3.) Just because your rabbit wins 1st at one show doesn't make it THE BEST. A good rabbit will show consistency in placings under several different judges and different shows. You have to remember if you win one day, your rabbit was just better then what was at the show that day. At a different show it could be dead last against different competition.

3.) Set your type. Line breed against the good qualities not the bad. You'll start seeing consistency in your litters which will aid you in deciding who stays and who goes. You will also be able to get to know your lines better, and see who may be a bad egg (despite good looks!)

4.) Always keep the best, even if you HATE the colour. Trust me, you'll regret selling the little bugger.

5.) Ask questions. No matter how dumb they seem, someone will always be glad to help.

6.) When looking to bring in new stock, don't overlook youth breeders. Most of the time they have better stock for cheaper prices.

7.) If you disagree with a judge, don't bad mouth him/her. When the judging is finish approach them and ask if they could explain their reasoning in greater detail. If you still have a problem with the judge afterwords, talk to the show secretary.

8.) Never ever under any circumstance buy a rabbit just because it's the colour you want. Get a second or third opinion because once you see that colour you'll become colour blinded and not see its faults. If you do you may find yourself back at square one.

9.) No matter how nice a rabbit, if it's aggressive get rid of it. End of story.

That's the advice I've received and followed.

I have received a lot of the same advice, Devon. Other advice I have received over the years:

1. Breed for YOUR interpretation of the breed standard, not a judge's. A judge knows the basics of every breed, but you should become the expert.

2. Keep the best, cull the rest! This is a pretty popular saying, but I agree with it 100%.

3. Cull anything that does not produce offspring that are equal or better than its quality.

Latest posts

Back