protein and nutrition of greens

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the data on various forages, and found some interesting things about common "weeds". During the height of their growing season, many are quite high in protein. For instance, the dandelion.
_________________June 3......July 7.....Sept 24.....Average

Acid detergent fiber...28.1........22.4.......25.8.......25.4
Crude protein ...........13.8........22.8.......14.7.......17.1
Ca...........................1.21........1.55.......1.61.......1.46
P.............................0.30........0.48.......0.29.......0.36

In an interview for weed control in hay, Jerry Doll a UW-Extension "weeds" expert says:
“On average, dandelions in the first cutting were four percentage points lower in protein,” he says. “In the second and third cuttings the difference wasn't statistically significant, but the dandelions averaged about a half point higher in protein than the alfalfa.”

Other greens follow suit. Plantain is rich in many nutrients, and Mulberry is being researched as a protein feed for pigs (rice based diet) http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd15/1/phin151.htm and hugely significant mulberry hay for goats: http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/X9895E/x9895e0k.htm with average 22% protein...even after the degredation of drying.

Since rabbits are able to get almost ALL of the nutrients out of a plant (through the cecum) I am thinking this would mean a diet/feed plan high in dandelion, mulberry, and other greens (research the quality) would be sufficient without the alfalfa. This could be significant for those in areas where alfalfa is scarce and very pricey. The problem being you can't know exactly how much protein is in a particular cutting of greens.

Of course, the other thing, is that the alfalfa provides a lot of fiber. a GOOD thing. (plantain is HIGH in fiber, too, btw.)

Thoughts? Ideas? Further research?

I think you may be right during the lush parts of the growing season. I know I don't about protein from May to September here in Zone 5. But that still leaves seven months of the year when my buns are getting most of their protein from the alfalfa in their hay.

Willow and poplar are other great source of protein-rich forages that are widely used worldwide.

A few thoughts. Most forages have the highest (leaf) protein before they bloom....especially the common hay forbs. Dandelions are an exception.

Most any legume is going to be higher in protein than most other plants. Legumes include any of the clovers, peanut foliage, bean foliage, vetch (except hairy)etc. There are also several trees that are legumes. There may occasionally be a certain legume with a toxicity problem (like hairy vetch), so one should always research the particular species.

One will often see warnings against feeding green-beans. While the beans themselves may be a problem, the foliage of the plant is an excellent feed. I planted extra in the garden and have been harvesting and feeding the plants on a regular basis. The rabbits love it, and each is probably getting a half-pound of it a day.

I wonder about the sweet potato vines? I know you feed them in the winter...haven't found any data for them yet.

Green bean leaves. :doh: NEVER would have thought of them. :bananadance2:

The mulberry data is actually from HAY. So is one of the studies on dandelions. They're talking about the dandelions actually giving GOOD protein levels to the hay field, so you (the farmer that they're talking to) shouldn't try to eradicate it. The mulberry hay is something they're testing out for pigs and goats. Since it grows so readily (rather like willow) it could be dried and keep the same protein for the winter.

And yes, I agree about the alfalfa and other legumes. beans...must look at soybean leaves...it's usually chopped for silage....that would be a great source for my area. Heck, I could just walk over to the next field and harvest it.....;)

I am at work and don't have access to my feed books at home, but the "web" says protein levels in sweet potato foliage run from 17-23% (of dry matter) according to the variety and age of the vine (young vines being higher).

that's where all my bean plants go after I harvest my beans -- straight to the bunnies. I'm quite picky about not letting any beans go with the plant (though it's the dried bean that is the problem) I just figure why risk it?

ladysown":2wa3fnvo said:
that's where all my bean plants go after I harvest my beans -- straight to the bunnies. I'm quite picky about not letting any beans go with the plant (though it's the dried bean that is the problem) I just figure why risk it?
Beans are hard to digest by a whole bunch of critters. Even with humans they cause bloat, gas, sometimes stomach aches. Cows do fine..but they have a bunch of stomachs and rechew everything. Odd critters....

Latest posts

Back