Rabbit Manure

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just recently sold two 50# bags of manure, and got $12 per bag.
I have a little system set up for price per pound; I'll have to find the paper it's written on. Figures I'd lose it. :?
I think it's something like $1.25 for 5lbs... $.25 a pound?

ETA: Found some info on what I ask...
$.25 per pound.
$1.25 per 5 lbs.
I offer 10lbs, 20/25lbs, and 50lbs selling at:
10lbs for $2.50
20lbs for $5.00
25lbs for $6.00 and then the 50lbs at $12.00

I think my prices are a good deal...especially the 10lbs for $2.50! :D Most people will buy 20/25lbs, but I think the 10lbs is a good option for farmers markets. Small quanity & price, so it won't take up much room for me to haul several bags of it. :)
Emily

The 5#and 10# bags would be great for city folks to pick up at the farmer's market, I'd think.

When you folks that sell rabbit manure do so, do you have a printout or flyer that goes along with the bag telling buyers how to use it? The tea, or putting right on the garden? Benefits to bunny poo compared to other types?

Anntann":xirrcp3n said:
The 5#and 10# bags would be great for city folks to pick up at the farmer's market, I'd think.

When you folks that sell rabbit manure do so, do you have a printout or flyer that goes along with the bag telling buyers how to use it? The tea, or putting right on the garden? Benefits to bunny poo compared to other types?

The 5# & 10# bags sure would be nice for city folks....but, I live mainly in the country. I mean, there are small "cities", so those sizes would still work. Especially if people had indoor plants, or maybe a small greenhouse, and wanted just a little bit of manure. ;)

I do have a flyer typed up...several copies of it. They're somewhere. :roll: I'll have to dig them up, retype them and attach them to the bags. :)

Emily

longtail":elpaejwk said:
Blue camas, you need some organization in your life !!!

:lol: Lmao. Well...I just moved to a new house, and my procrastination has gotten the best of me, so most everything's still packed! I do, however, have ALL of my rabbit books unpacked. Those were the first things unpacked. lol.

I've got a pretty good idea of where the flyers are...I know they're in a box that is stuff from my closet, I just don't remember what colour folder/binder they're in. lol!
I'm usually quite organized. :lol:

Emily

MaggieJ":18qg0nuj said:
Don't sell it unless you can get a decent price. Just top dress your garden with it or use it to establish a new bed. It's gold.

This is what I think. Only thing is I wonder if there is rabbit manure and then rabbit manure. I bought some for my garden a few years ago and it did not look like what I have from my rabbits. I think what I bought had got wet and was maybe years old or months old, but had a bad smell and was clumped. Some bags were different and did not smell. I paid $6 for big feed sacks full.

garden lady":2wc9g4yc said:
MaggieJ":2wc9g4yc said:
Don't sell it unless you can get a decent price. Just top dress your garden with it or use it to establish a new bed. It's gold.

This is what I think. Only thing is I wonder if there is rabbit manure and then rabbit manure. I bought some for my garden a few years ago and it did not look like what I have from my rabbits. I think what I bought had got wet and was maybe years old or months old, but had a bad smell and was clumped. Some bags were different and did not smell. I paid $6 for big feed sacks full.

Well you won't have to pay for rabbit manure any more with all those Flemmies you have now. Boy does Fawkes produce. Thought my little ones produced a lot. Plus you will have the advantage of knowing what is in that rabbit manure because you will be feeding your rabbits. It is like gold.

Karen

Is this pure rabbit manure or a combination of manure/bedding/waste hay, etc. I clean my trays weekly at a minimum and dump the contents into a wheelbarrow which goes to the compost pile. I use the compressed wood pellets in the trays to absorb moisture. On cleaning days, whatever is in the tray goes into the compost pile which is getting to be pretty good size. Ha. I have given several 5 gallon buckets full away and need to consider moving the remainder up the hill to the garden to make room for more.... Little buggers work 24/7. :lol:

Lastfling":29oe4tbw said:
Is this pure rabbit manure or a combination of manure/bedding/waste hay, etc. I clean my trays weekly at a minimum and dump the contents into a wheelbarrow which goes to the compost pile. I use the compressed wood pellets in the trays to absorb moisture. On cleaning days, whatever is in the tray goes into the compost pile which is getting to be pretty good size. Ha. I have given several 5 gallon buckets full away and need to consider moving the remainder up the hill to the garden to make room for more.... Little buggers work 24/7. :lol:

I have some pure manure that is underneath the hutch, but tons of it with hay and it is being composted. I will use all I have for the next couple of months covering the garden. I am going to put leaves down and cover with manure. We are going to have to redesign the hutch I think.

the tea bags are SUCH a good idea. my rabbitry is suburban/city anyway, so i could definitely find a market for this. so i'm thinking, take fresh bunny berries, spread them out on a screen and let them dry, then put them in burlap "tea bags" and sell. or would the sun-drying take away the nutrients? and i'd probably do at least 2, maybe 3 different sizes of bags. one for rain barrels, one for 2 1/2 gal buckets, and one for 5 gal buckts. and maybe one for gallon jugs, for people who are very inner city and would only be using it to water indoor plants... do you think you could water orchids with it?

You know, since we're going into winter, and there's time for a little experimenting, I think if I was going to sell this at a farmers market, over the winter I would set up 2 pots of plants. Maybe herb plants. In one water with regular water, in the other, use 'bunny tea' by the time the farmers market rolls around, you should have 2 plants that are markedly different in size and health. Nothing speaks better than having a living example right there.

I wouldn't think the sun would hurt, but if you can drain the urine away, it's pretty dry to begin with. so not sure how much it would need that step.

Larger amounts would be good to sell people who want to amend their garden soil.

Oceanrose":x718ziu4 said:
You know, since we're going into winter, and there's time for a little experimenting, I think if I was going to sell this at a farmers market, over the winter I would set up 2 pots of plants. Maybe herb plants. In one water with regular water, in the other, use 'bunny tea' by the time the farmers market rolls around, you should have 2 plants that are markedly different in size and health. Nothing speaks better than having a living example right there.

I wouldn't think the sun would hurt, but if you can drain the urine away, it's pretty dry to begin with. so not sure how much it would need that step.

Larger amounts would be good to sell people who want to amend their garden soil.

I think this is a great idea. Just for what it is worth, I had bought some worm castings and mixed with my potting soil. The plants that had the worm castings had more roots and a dark green color. I planted a 4 x 10 box in the spring in a new area. I bought some compost, topsoil and had some cow manure. I planted beets, lettuce, carrots and some swiss chard. The lettuce looked okay, the swiss chard started getting brown on the leaves, the carrots were growing slow and the beets were growing, but had brown on the leaves bad. I was going to pull it all up, but decided to put the worm castings in the box. I cut all the swiss chard down and decided if the new leaves had brown then I would pull everying out of the box. This was really early spring and kind of just let the box go while busy planting the rest of the garden I started noticing the swiss chard was normal looking, the lettuce was the biggest romaine I ever grew and was the best I ever ate. The carrots were really thick and I started thinning and they were really nice, but the beets got huge. I pickled a bunch of them and roasted some. I cannot afford to buy worm castings, so now I am interested in the rabbit manure to see what it can do, but I think I will raise worms for worm castings and see if we can sell, but if not it will be nice to have. Also, the rabbit manure mixed with leaves should bring worms and if you have worms, then you have worm castings in the garden.

Emily,
I have people here in my neck of the woods, selling it for $5 a gallon. Yes I know it is absurd, but I think I might try it.

Latest posts

Back