Can you sell rabbit manure or better to have worm castings?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garden lady

Reaction score
I read this on another website and this is what I am going to do with mine this fall. Can you sell rabbit manure or is it best to compost it and can you sell that? I am going to raise worms, but I will have a lot of manure and bedding with 10 rabbits.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 02584.html

Posted by mommagoose z5 NY (My Page) on Mon, Nov 6, 06 at 13:11

A few years ago I spread several truck loads of rabbit manure mixed with chopped maple leaves onto a portion of my market garden. I let them lay there all winter then in the spring I tilled them under and planted some Ailsa Craig onions there. I had many 4 pound or more onions that year. I did not quite reach the record for big onions but I sold the onions for 50c a pound and was very happy:) I have not had access to such large quantities of rabbit poop since then and I have never gotten another 4 pound onion. I am going to try sheep and goat droppings next year and will also sprinkle them over the bed with chopped leaves. I have not found it necessary to till in manure until spring. I figure the microbes in the manure help the leaves to break down. Good luck with the garden.
Linda

Sure you can, fresh or composted, if you are willing to part with it. Mine isn't going anywhere but on my garden!

If you can get someone to buy it. Haven't had any success giving it away around here.

I just give mine to my mum. She runs it through her compost, then uses it in her gardens or to pot up plants for sale.

Bunny compost for our garden was what first led me to get rabbits again.

I have raised beds, and each week I put 5 gallons of bunny berries, hay, and leftover rabbit food into one of my beds and rake it in. The porch bunnies' droppings go into the compost bin.

You can really do either, whichever you prefer. And a lot of gardeners will buy it, though I have no idea why more don't. Look at the nutrient chart here: http://www.allotment.org.uk/grow-your-o ... of-manures and it can be used fresh without burning.

Oceanrose":16ewzpe5 said:
Bunny compost for our garden was what first led me to get rabbits again.

I have raised beds, and each week I put 5 gallons of bunny berries, hay, and leftover rabbit food into one of my beds and rake it in. The porch bunnies' droppings go into the compost bin.

You can really do either, whichever you prefer. And a lot of gardeners will buy it, though I have no idea why more don't. Look at the nutrient chart here: http://www.allotment.org.uk/grow-your-o ... of-manures and it can be used fresh without burning.

How big are the beds that you put 5 gallons in? What kind of droppings go into the compost bin? :thinking: It does sound like amazing stuff.

My beds are 3X6. I have raised beds, and practice square foot gardening methods. The base is steer, chicken manure and peat that I purchased, but the bunny manure I think is better. Hopefully by spring, I'll have plenty of it in there :).

The compost pile gets rabbit manure from the porch bunny, corn based bedding, hay from the tortoise cage, scraps from the kitchen, and soon leaves. Since the winter time is coming, what I put in the beds now will break down before they're planted, but rabbit manure is a cold manure so it will not burn when it's used fresh.

I did want to add to the OP, there is a huge market for worm castings, and for worms if you want to do the work. Personally I don't want to separate the worm castings from the worms, gross :p. But you will get more money for it in the gardening aspect. I love the idea of 'bunny tea bags' for urban gardeners that someone posted here. I just don't think I'll ever have enough to do have extra :). I haven't even started amending the flower gardens up front, and if I run out of that, I have more beds in my mind to put in :).

Oceanrose":at2we7j3 said:
My beds are 3X6. I have raised beds, and practice square foot gardening methods. The base is steer, chicken manure and peat that I purchased, but the bunny manure I think is better. Hopefully by spring, I'll have plenty of it in there :).

The compost pile gets rabbit manure from the porch bunny, corn based bedding, hay from the tortoise cage, scraps from the kitchen, and soon leaves. Since the winter time is coming, what I put in the beds now will break down before they're planted, but rabbit manure is a cold manure so it will not burn when it's used fresh.

I did want to add to the OP, there is a huge market for worm castings, and for worms if you want to do the work. Personally I don't want to separate the worm castings from the worms, gross :p. But you will get more money for it in the gardening aspect. I love the idea of 'bunny tea bags' for urban gardeners that someone posted here. I just don't think I'll ever have enough to do have extra :). I haven't even started amending the flower gardens up front, and if I run out of that, I have more beds in my mind to put in :).

I did have square foot gardening boxes for a couple of years and also a regular garden. I still have some boxes I started a box with asparagus this year. I am waiting for the freeze to come and I pull the plants and start bringing all the compost and rabbit manure to the garden. I have a lot of flowers in the front and several young fruit trees. I am also thinking of putting it in an area that I have not planted so the ground will be good by spring. My husband has always been interested in worms and so he will have no problem with working with worms. We are just not sure how we want to do it yet, but I guess just start and go from there.

I use some & sell some. I sell it for $7 per 5 gal - old feed sacks hold 10 gallons with room to close this way.
We are in an urban area, & gardeners usually buy 10-20 gallons. W

rockeee":15gctfct said:
I use some & sell some. I sell it for $7 per 5 gal - old feed sacks hold 10 gallons with room to close this way.
We are in an urban area, & gardeners usually buy 10-20 gallons. W

$7 for 5 gallons of rabbit manure, nice!

Latest posts

Back