Palpated for babies!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EviesTulipsRabbitry

Reaction score
Good Afternoon!! :mrgreen:

My 2 doe's are due around the 9th and 10th of this month. I have palpated both of them and I dont know. :oops: :p

I was wondering how many people have had their doe's hide their babies?

Thanks! :baby:

__________ Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:55 pm __________

<br /><br />__________ Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:57 pm __________<br /><br />:-?

Maybe they're playing the "Are There Buns In My Oven?" game! :lol:

One thing I've seen is that even the most experienced among us don't always know if a doe is pregnant. Sometimes they are sure a doe is, and the doe builds a nest, but babies never appear. Other times, they become slowly convinced that the doe is not pregnant, stick in a nest box "just in case", and end up with a nice litter of kits.

Some people are good at palpating, and others can't tell a thing from it.

I'm afraid that the only sure way to know if a doe is pregnant, is if you suddenly have a nestbox full of wiggly popples! I know that isn't much help!

(BTW... I saw you bumped a couple of times... most RT people are on in the morning through early evening, just a few of us get on this late! :) )

I don't know how they could hide the babies in a cage? well...hrm...now that I think about it, I've got a doe who I keep thinking is making a nest BEHIND the nestbox waaaay back in the corner..but she hasn't. It's just she likes sitting back there.

Apparently the kits don't grow much inside Momma until the last week. My vet said that she can't feel kits until the last week on the larger breeds simply because there's so much room inside the body cavity.

I've been seeing mood changes in the does, tho. Sometimes it's obvious (I have one that goes from sullen and quiet to happy and bouncing around when she's pregnant) and with another it's a subtle quieting..less racing around, more just laying about quietly. Then there's the doe who goes from "I hate you" to "I hate you ALOT, get out of my SPACE!" :x

I think they are built not to show pregnancy until it's almost time to deliver..survival thing.

Latest posts

Back