HELP - Nails in the Scent Gland Area?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KentuckyHare

Reaction score
Hello - I'm new here and fairly new to raising rabbits. Tonight I found something I can't figure out. I was looking at a new Buck (Heinz 57 Satin mix - Age ?) that came with a new cage. I was going to do a trial breeding but there are "nails" in the scent gland areas. :x Is that the sign of old age or a disease? I can't find any info on the net and I don't tolerate disease on behalf of the rest of the rabbits. The nails are solid, black and hard. Size is approximately 1/4"W x 3/4"L; One on each side- Looks Identical. Rabbit is healthy and doing well - Would have never expected this. Any help is appreciated - Even if you say - "You IDIOT this is normal!"
Thanks In Advance

Where are the "nails" in relation to his testicles? Can you SEE his testicles? Has he perhaps been neutered and you are looking at the scars?

Is it possible that the "nails" are crusted secretions from the scent glands? It's the only thing I can think of. Just to be on the safe side, I'd keep him well away from your other rabbits until you find out what is going on. (You should isolate any new rabbit for at least a month anyway.)

The "nail" is located in the fold or base of the scent area. I never thought about neutering - Wouldn't the scars be smaller? Here are three photos - Not the best but I tried to make them clear. Thanks for the input so far!
Mikepic1.JPGpic2.JPGRabbit.JPG

I think Maggie is right. Since the testicles are there, it's most likely the glandular secretions that you are seeing.

i had a rabbit with hard secretions once in the area. I used a dampened q-tip to remove them. Trust me...don't go touching it your hands will smell like musky rabbit for a while. rabbit was just fine afterwards. Some rabbits are just better then others at keeping themselves clean down there.

THANKS Everyone for the info - Like I said I'm still learning! I'm soaking the area in lanolin tonight and I'll try to remove them in the morning. They are really hard and stuck.

Update: Good News - After some more water - Everything was good as new! Thanks again

Back