Decisions, decisions....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Life has just become harder.....

Got three baby bunnies in today. A rabbit breeder used my new buck on one of her does and she sent the extra kits to me. Took a couple stops along the way to get them to me, but they are here.

My boy is smitten...he wants to keep all three of them.

The buck of the trio is a lovely small boy. I'm thinking that he'll be a keeper.

The does look to be bigger...but they are smaller than similar aged kits so they aren't as big as I thought they were. The one I really like, the other I'm not sure about.

The lad wants to call them (note, they are all broken black).. black white one, blacker, and "we are not keeping this one right mommy?". I said we'd think about it (the names). :)

So my decision....
I have a doe that had two nice kits that I planned to keep. now I've got these three kits that are too nice to cull. and it's like WHAT DO I DO?????

I"m allowed 20 rabbits....keeping five bunnies means I'm not at 20 rabbits! ARGH!!!!!

I just don't know, I just really don't know what to do.....

Sell some? If they are too good to cull to the freezer, could some lovely little 4-Her be just thrilled with them for instance? Or somebody like me, just starting out...Craig's list is where I would look for rabbits around here. You could make someone's day.

My first thought would be to build more cages, but the magic number of 20 is really getting in the way. Is that 20 per property or 20 per owner. Could you possibly skirt it by your son owning them? I'm not trying to get you to bend the law, just find the loopholes.

20 per property.

bunnies under six months don't count apparently.... so I have four months to make decisions....

I might let the one go right away as it's ears are LONG, but otherwise they are nice bunnies. they could just be summer ears too though. I have a bit of time.....

Here's an interesting thought... how does bylaw determine what age the bunnies really are? The majority of my rabbits right now are under 6 months..but different breeds are different sizes!! Why is the number 20 anyways? That is more than a pet person would have; so 20 rabbits would mean you are raising for profit, but 20 is very restricting to that end I think..hehehe just thinking out loud wondering how these stupid bylaw "numbers" get made up. Anyways if they show up just say they are under 6 months and because you do sell/process a lot of them, then the next time they came at least some of the rabbits would be different (or gone) enough to confuse them anyways lol! You could even randomly rotate where you keep each rabbit to a different spot. Also a couple cages in the house for a couple "extras" that you want to grow further to see if you like them.

20 per property? What if you have 20 acres? We have no limit on rabbits or poultry but a/c can and will interfere so I keep numbers down - 40 holes for rabbits kept in an inclosed barn, no chickens or poultry as of yet but we plan on keeping maybe 6-8 hens (no rooster). I have businesses behind me so I try to respect them. They tried to boycott us because of the horse but, well, we can have 4 so they better be nice (lol - I won't have more then 2, it's only an acre for crying out loud). Anyway, how covered are they? How likely is it to be checked?

Back