My neighbors are back!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the neighbors are back from their travels around the US. They were gone for 28 days and covered a good bit of the States, Chicago, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Colorado, etc. I only got a brief description of the trip as they were tired and just wanted to clean up and get to bed.

I managed to keep 34 chickens and three cats alive, the house didn't burn down, cut the grass twice (2.5 acres!), repaired the lawn tractor when it burnt out a drive belt, cleaned the barn out twice and collected nearly 500 eggs.

For all that I was paid $30/day and got to keep all the eggs, pretty good deal. I was amazed to find out that people actually make a living house sitting, who knew? I wasn't even expecting any money but they insisted and were very appreciative of the fact someone close by was keeping an eye on things and really appreciated the regular e-mail updates saying all was well.

Over all, a good deal for everyone. Now I can use that money to build a chicken coop!

I've given away a lot, some to my Mom and sisters, some to my sister-in-law and some at work. I still have a couple hundred in the fridge, they'll all go eventually. As soon as people found out I was getting eggs everyone wanted some so I guess when I get my own chickens I won't have a problem selling eggs! I gave away all the ones I got from my neighbor because it wasn't costing me anything and I would have felt bad making money off them.

Now to look at chicken coop designs!

Wow, Truckinguy! That's awesome! And trust me...as one who's TRIED to find a farm sitter, even without the mowing or barn cleaning...JUST feeding/watering chickens...$30 a day is WELL worth the peace of mind.

I don't suppose you'd make the commute down to Wisconsin this Fall? .... no...I suppose that's a bit far... :(

Latest posts

Back