Bald Face Hornets

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfaubush

Reaction score
Today, I was out cleaning the 'hutch' area and as I was pushing the wheel barrel, I got stung in the crook of my arm by one. OUCH!!! I didn't realize that was what they were. I thought they were just BIG flies. I had a slight reaction, and still don't feel too great.

Then, tonight when I went out to feed in the bunny barn (other side of the property from the hutches), I got 'swarmed' by 5 or 6 of them and had to come in. I'm waiting for dark to finish up the feeding and watering.

We've had problems with paper wasps for years (without ever getting stung), and have decreased their population significantly, but this is the first time we've had the bald face hornets. Does anyone have a solution to these things? Repellents? I read that a paper bag hung up will drive them away, but I have my doubts. All I know is getting stung HURTS, and makes me nausiated with my chest hurting.

Certainly can't hurt to try the paper bag trick.

Paula, I think you need to find out more about adverse reactions to insect stings. Some localized redness and swelling at the site are normal, but nausea and chest pain sound to me like an allergic reaction. Some allergic reactions become worse each time you are exposed and some can be serious. Please take care.

Pfaubush, keep some benedryl around. PLEASE! Slight swelling and redness is normal reaction..nausea and chest pain ARE NOT normal. (it's possible that it's a panic attack type reaction, but....) Look in the WalMart or wherever for sleep aids. that's where you'll find the med the cheapest. What you're looking for is diphenhydramine. After a sting, take a pill. It's an antihistamine used for allergic reactions.

We keep bees. Micheal developed an allergy to stings within 1 year. Once you START to be allergic...it gets worse each time you get stung. Odd thing, but seems to be true for everyone. Most allergies you build up antibodies to..but with bee/wasp venom...it's the opposite....the body seems to go into over-reaction mode.

Thank you for all the advice! Today I seem to be fine, with the exception of a terrible fear of these things now, and a hidious itch on my arm. I used the Benedryl after the sting yesterday and it did help. I've been stung before and never had any sort of problems. This one was the worst, by far. I sure don't want to have it happen again and get worse!

Tonight, I will be hanging up the paper bags, along with the baggies of water with pennies. They say those work for all flying insects with compound eyes. I sure hope it's true. I can't sit in the house all day while the chores go undone.

Any idea if they can hurt the rabbits? They've been out there with them for a couple of weeks (though it appears to be getting worse) with no issues, but Chris is worried about the buns.

From the little I know of bald-faced hornets, they don't usually sting unless provoked. That said, it does not take a lot to provoke them. The rabbits should be okay, but if one did get stung I would think it could be fairly serious. Maybe you should ask that question on the Rabbit Care forum... you might get a more informed response there. (Not everyone reads everything.)

I almost said something about your reaction, Paula, and I'm glad everybody else did. They're right... that is not a normal reaction. Wasp/bee sting allergies are a lot like antibiotic allergies... once you react, you have a worse reaction every time after that. I had had amoxicillin several times... but then I had a reaction to it. My first reaction was a bad one. I don't dare take it again ever, and I wear a bracelet for it.

You must, must keep Benadryl on hand and within quick reach after a sting. You also really should talk to your doctor about whether you should have an epi-pen, and what the correct plan of action is if you get stung again.

My great-grandmother was allergic to bees... if I recall correctly, they sent her into anaphylactic shock.

Here's hoping the paper bags and bags of water and pennies work!!!

Bald face hornets are actually great to have around, because the eat insects,especially flies. However, if they usually are not a problem unless you get really close to their nest. Sounds like you have one too close for comfort....in which case you need to get rid of it. Look around in the branches etc above where you got stung. You may need to get a neighbor or a professional to help you. On a cold morning they are fairly inactive.

Please listen to the above advice, and do not even go in that area again until you have the proper drugs (an anaphylactic shock syringe kit would be even better) This is nothing to dismiss, if you are indeed allergic, the next sting might kill you if you are not prepared. See you doctor in any case, so he can test you.

Good greif, yes, don't mess around with bags, call an exterminator!

Hornets vary in agressiveness, and were I grew up in Oregon they were one of the most agressive things going! They were violently agressive, though I have heard in other areas that they are mild mannered garden helpers. And once they have identified you as a threat, they REMEBER you!

Seriously, we all love animals here and want to do things naturally, but locate the nest and either poison it or have it handled by a professional. If you are showing signs of allergy, you shouldn't be the one to mess with it at all! Be careful!

They are right... get someone else to take care of the bald face hornets. And, preferably, the rabbits in the bunny barn as well, since you put yourself at risk every time you go there.

In most cases, bites and stings can be easily treated at home. However, some people have a severe allergic reaction to insect bites and stings. This is a life-threatening allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis, and it requires urgent emergency care. Severe reactions can affect the whole body and may occur very quickly, often within minutes. These severe reactions can be rapidly fatal if untreated. Call 911 if you are with someone who has chest pain, face or mouth swelling, difficulty swallowing, trouble breathing, or goes into shock.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency ... 000033.htm

Please make sure somebody is keeping tabs on you for the next few days. Since it happened yesterday, you may not need to go to the ER, although it says sometimes symptoms can be delayed for a day. Try not to be alone through tomorrow (like out with the rabbits). And please see your doctor ASAP! You probably should have an epi-pen or something like it from now on.

If you're still having chest pain, you might want to go ahead to the ER. :(

Latest posts

Back