Possible Housing Changes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the time has come to restore my pickup truck. I bought my Chevy 1/2 ton new in 1991 and have now had it for 20 years. The odometer broke a few years ago at more then 200,000km and I figure there are at least 100,000 more on it. My truck and I have been through hell and high water and I plan on keeping it for the rest of my life (did I mention I love my truck??). However, she's getting a little rusty and it's time for a frame-off restoration. I"ve worked it into my budget and it's probably a year or two long project. Now I need a place to do it....

.... which brings me to the rabbits! As some of you may know my rabbits have been in the attached garage since I got them three years ago. I cannot be happier with this setup, it's snug and quiet, no predators, the temperature is pretty steady and I don't have to go outside to feed and water in any weather. However, I now need the garage to restore the truck in so I"m afraid the rabbits have to go... (shudder)... outside!

I don't plan on starting to work on the truck until next fall so I have all summer to figure out the best housing setup. I plan on keeping less rabbits, maybe a couple of bucks and three or four does, and I want to use the cages I built as they work very well for breeding with their attached nestbox sections, resting shelves and other features I built into them. I have ten of the doe cages so it will be easy to have a few spares to swap out when they need cleaning. The bucks are just in a regular cage. I've been tossing around the idea of a colony so that might be an option, individual hutches or build a small barn (depending on permits... and money).

So... not looking forward to the changes but they are necessary. I guess change is what life is all about.

If you're only keeping a few does and a buck (and 1 as a backup?) I'd do a colony backed up to the garage. the foundation of the garage would be good for digging out in that direction (and it's one less wall you have to build)

I don't suppose you have a basement? They do quite well in basements as long as they're not really damp.

The other thing...what about 2' deep cages along one wall of the garage? mounted head or chest height, with dropping pans under them? Is your garage wide enough to accommodate that?

Another option would be your current setup but inside a portable garage...one of the big white tent things. They can be costly, but if you get one of the inexpensive ones, and then use your skills with metal or woodworking to make extra trusses, or supports? You really just need something to keep the weather/wind off the buns, after all. And if you have kits in the winter, you can bring kits inside and just take them out for feedings. (or bring momma inside for a couple of weeks with her kits)

Some good suggestions, Ann! The portable garage would be a great idea, I would have to look into the possibility that would require a permit.

I"m very interested in a colony setup of some kind although it would waste all the good cage building I've done so far. I'm also very concerned about predators but I'm sure that could be dealt with.

I have a full basement here but I don't want the rabbit smell inside the house. I am also in the beginning stages of finishing the basement into a laundry room and a rec room so they would be in the way. I also like to crank up the stereo from time to time and I don't think the rabbits would appreciate that!

Another concern I have is that the back of the house faces west and that is where the wind comes from. I'm severed from a farmers field and can get some fierce winds coming through here in the winter so I would have to have something pretty snug and strong. It's just me here and during the spring and summer I work long days, quite often from dark to dark, so I need to build something pretty secure for when the raccoons come out in the evening. We have coyotes around too....

I'm also looking at the possibility of getting chickens in the spring so I'll have to sit down and draw up a plan of the back yard to figure out where they are going too.

Might end up with a little mini farm after all.... :D

hmm. If you can get a permit to build a small shed perhaps? as a chicken coop. Cages can go inside down the center or along the sides. chickens running around underneath. (just put something over the cages so the chickens can't roost on them...like a slanted board perhaps)

What about a hoop coop thing for the rabbits in a colony setup? using either cattle panels or rebar for the "hoops", then 2"x4" fencing over it to keep out predators. Floor of either the same fencing (urine can soak down through that) or OSB or similar so they can't dig out. Cover the whole thing with tarps (it's easy to do). You can use the clear heavy plastic for winter covering so you get sunlight in. Roll up the sides in the summer for air flow. Bed with hay or straw. You could make simple pens if you need to keep anyone separate. Door on one end.

This is one of my quick but sturdy hoop coops (16foot rebar makes an 8foot wide, by 7foot tall hoop)

hoopcoop03.jpg

this is a smaller version (using 10foot sections of rebar) for the chickens to have a warm run in the winter. The hoop coops are always 10 to 20 degrees warmer in the winter (during the day) than the outside air.
DSCF1836.jpg

Wow, those look really good! How do they do in the wind? I could build a protective fence on the windy side of it which would help. Is that 2"x4" fencing good enough to keep out raccoons? I think I have a roll of 2"x4" fencing but I think it's 16 gauge. Might need a heavier gauge to be strong enough to keep out critters.

Lots of time to think and plan. I appreciate the suggestions!

Back