Popples!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aileen

Reaction score
I heard squeaking last night and spotted 2 crawling about this morning. Mama Em was watchful, so I figured I'd wait til after work to take a closer look. How exciting!

Yep, my very first. :-D I haven't seen more yet. Ms.Em gets nervous when I get near, so I'm giving her space. Hoping to finish a hutch this week for her and her babies.

AND, I found (set out for trash) a wood and chicken wire whatzit than can easily be modified and turned into a three story hutch for the angoras and my future buck. Ooolala!

Aileen":3oki62sf said:
Yep, my very first. :-D I haven't seen more yet. Ms.Em gets nervous when I get near, so I'm giving her space. Hoping to finish a hutch this week for her and her babies.

AND, I found (set out for trash) a wood and chicken wire whatzit than can easily be modified and turned into a three story hutch for the angoras and my future buck. Ooolala!
Yay!! I love large item collection days!!!

Five dead, sixth I think is dead (all left out of the nestbox and got too cold) and I don't know if #7 will make it.

I am NOT happy!!! Stinkin' mama!

Oh dear :( I'm so sorry. Aileen, the doe probably didn't kick them out...they probably got dragged out when she fed :( Rabbits don't do the "pick them up and put them back" thing, unfortunately.

Make sure you get that nest box up and ready for the next doe :) That will make things go much better, I bet.

No point being angry with the doe. Rabbits cannot move their young, except by nudging. If they were kindled out of the box, due to inexperience, they stay out unless you put them in. If they get dragged out on momma's teat, she has no way of putting them back. In the wild, they would be in a burrow and this situation would not arise.

Hope things go better with the next doe. A proper nest box in the cage on Day 28 will give her a better chance of getting it right.

I wish things had gone better but Mama Em will get another chance. After all, new house, takes time to settle in and relax. I will wait a bit to breed her again and hopefully she'll do better next time around. In the meantime, I'm watching the others with an eagle eye!
Why can't rabbits pick up their babes w/their teeth like other animals do?

Their front teeth are designed for efficient cutting/shearing of not just grasses but harder things. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=18+1798&aid=3078 has a pretty good diagram of how it works. The tops are quite sharp.

There's hardly any loose skin or fat on the top of the kits, so if a doe were to pick up a kit in her teeth, she'd probably rip right thru the skin.

Thanks for the explanation, Ann.
I found the sixth dead one today and judging from the lack of movement, I assume I'll find the seventh when I get home. Poor little babies.<br /><br />__________ Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 am __________<br /><br />Thanks for the explanation, Ann.
I found the sixth dead one today and judging from the lack of movement, I assume I'll find the seventh when I get home. Poor little babies.

oh yeah from what i have heard it is good to find their cycle and then breed them,after their babies are weened you should wait a month before you breed them again.

Latest posts

Back