Popple dandruff?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today the babies are five days old and I notice that they have dandruff. They're dandruffy in their ears and by their butts, mostly. I imagine since they're growing out hair and growing in general they're shedding skin cells, but I really notice it on the black babies.

This is normal?

Yep. I usually see it at the nape of the neck and in the ears.

Not all kits get it though... just like some human infants get "cradle cap" and others don't.

None of mine have ever gotten flaky skin. Is it genetic or possibly something like weather? It's nearly always humid here.

I think I know the kind of dandruff you are talking about.
The tiny little skin flakes that I tend not to see until I'm trying to take up close pictures to show the babies off?
It shows up best on the blacks?

With Fawns first litter of 6 (she had them in October) we had 3 dandruffy buns, and now she has 8 and non of them has dandruffy stuff. It could be the weather, I guess.

akane":3u93ex5z said:
Is it genetic or possibly something like weather? It's nearly always humid here.

I think it is probably partly weather related- it is usually super dry here. I actually have some kits that were born yesterday and today, and we have rain :cheer2: :singinrain: :cheer2: so I will watch for flakiness.

It can't be just the weather, though, because not all in a litter will flake. :shrug:

I notice it primarily on the blacks, although the brokens have it around and in their ears. The whole hutch was moved to the garage a few days ago from outside and it is warmer in the garage. The dandruff doesn't seem to be persistant (unlike my own, but that's from having my scalp drying out all the time from working outside in this bitter cold) and I've not noticed either parent with dandruff.

Back