poor cat

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akane

Reaction score
My poor cat has had one heck of a life so far. I found her as a kitten about 3 weeks old laying on the center line of the highway. Her face was scraped up, she had a rock indent in her head, was bleeding from her rectum, and was dehydrated and overheated from laying on the blacktop in the sun. Due to trauma she also lost the ability to meow and only makes a range of squeaks plus hissing and an overly dramatic tail.

DSC00567.jpg

Despite the odds and some ADHD type problems which made litter box training a nightmare she grew in to a pretty cat:

DSC00782.jpg

SANY0017.jpg

She had finally adjusted to a mostly normal life, aside from thinking she's a dog instead, and not having to be caged, I built a huge enclosure for her in the dining room to help with all the litter box issues and such, when the past few months she had severe ear infections with odd and uncommon bacteria. A few weeks ago a raw patch appeared on her leg over the joint. I thought she injured it so cleaned it and kept an eye on it. It faded but her face broke out next followed by the other paw. Today after a thorough examination at the vet we found patches under her legs and on her belly as well and she still has bumps on the back of her ears. The vet finally diagnosed her with pemphigus erythemotosis. An autoimmune disease where the antibodies attack the layers of the skin. She is now on daily prednisone and will be for life. If it doesn't work and she turns out to have a more severe form of pemphigus she will have to be PTS. As is her lifespan just got shorter.

I wish someone would find a way and expend the effort to neuter all the feral and mostly feral cats wandering about this state. All the roadkill kittens, packed shelters, and sick cats from genetic or communicable diseases is truly tiring.

Poor kitty... what a rough life. Hope the prednisone helps.

The plight of unwanted cats (and dogs) makes me very angry. Why the heck can't people take a little more responsibility for their animals?

Our wonderful Humane Society Reject dog(returned twice before we got him and kept him) has been on and off prednisone for allergy issues. We have finally solved it, and I am so glad, but I agree, there are just too many unwanted pets. At least prednisone is relatively cheap, cheaper than the diagnostics that could have told us what he was allergic to right away. You have a lucky cat to have found such a caring owner. So many aren't so fortunate.

Latest posts

Back