Poisonous Plants List

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, Buttons. It's a much better list than most and it contains the all-important Latin names, which provide the only sure method of identifying plants.

As they point out in the disclaimer, the absence of a particular plant from the list does not mean it is necessarily safe. No list can be complete. This is why I prefer to work from a good list of safe plants. It's pretty easy to learn a couple of dozen safe plants that grow in your area and gather those to feed your rabbits. That said, it's also good to be able to recognize toxic plants as well.

catnip is toxic???? really?

Then why do my rabbits nibble on it and are fine???

They don't eat much, but they do eat regularly enough.....

ladysown":30eztbpj said:
catnip is toxic???? really?

Then why do my rabbits nibble on it and are fine???

They don't eat much, but they do eat regularly enough.....

As far as I know, catnip is NOT toxic. It may reduce milk production ( many members of the mint family do this) but it is otherwise okay. That said, my rabbits would never touch it. I used it for fly and mosquito control, but never had a rabbit that wouldn't back off if it was in its vicinity.

MamaSheepdog has reported that her does will accept it if they are in a situation where milk production needs to be stopped or reduced.

Edited to add: This is one reason I dislike poison plant lists. Invariably they include useful plants that are not actually toxic, but may need cautions as to their use. Buttons' list is better than most, but everything listed should be double-checked before accepting it. Thanks for catching that, Ladysown . . . I did look through the list but I missed that . . . and who knows what else!

This list also says all parts of onion and garlic are toxic to rabbits-- as adequately demonstrated-- this is just not true... There are also a couple of varieties of colocasia esculenta, [elephant ear] that are good for feed, [but most are far too irritating to be safe] but all in all a very good list--

I do feel it is good to err on the side of caution when introducing any plant to our rabbits.
Some plants considered generally safe may contain substances that accumulate, [like lambsquarters grown in nitrogen rich soils, wild morning glory, or malva neglecta [cheese weed] ] so it is always a good idea to make sure the rabbits have something to move on to-- and don't feed very much of anything if it has been a week since giving greens-- as they will hungry for greens and may overeat something they would normally move away from when they have had enough.

--once long ago I had a good source of old french bread [from grocery chain store, I would feed some to the rabbits along with their hay and other feed-- one time i went a week without having any to feed , and then got a big load of it, -- with out thinking, I fed the normal big chunk to all of my rabbits,-- instead of nibbling on it throughout the night and finishing it the next day- they gobbled it all up in one evening-- the next morning a found about a dozen dead rabbits from bloat, and GI stasis--- what a drag that was...

Thank you, m4g, for sharing your experience. I was thinking about the difference between learning something by doing it with someone who knows and getting information on-line. There are so many factors that can't be considered in an on-line list. When you learn by working along with someone who knows, you're in a specific place and it is a specific season and the person who's doing the thing has their own methods and goals.
I know the internet is very helpful in many ways--but like all things it has it's limitations.

I typically google whatever I'm about to feed unless I'm positive it's safe for them *Like carrots, apples, plantain leaves.etc.* Funnily enough hardly any of my rabbits like carrots however XD. I like the list because it informs me that this could potentially hurt my rabbits. I am like the first time mom with my rabbits XD. I always check several websites to see what everyone says and if nothing conclusive comes of it then I come here and see what others say.

Back