Pointed white with blue eyes?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DevonW":2zuxzsxp said:
It's not the pointed gene and blue eyed gene are two totally different entities.

are you intending to say it IS possible? Or are you saying that 'pointing' somehow negates the blue eye expression?

Its not the same as what you are looking for, but ermine/frosty rabbits can have shading around their points and pretty blue/grey eyes. I had an English Angora like that and she was adorable. :)

Lily01-26-2010C.jpg

Lauren

The blue eyed white gene erases the points caused by other genes. There's a tiny chance you could have a rabbit with 1 bew gene display blue eyes and get the points in there but it would not be predictable. You'd have to breed a ton of rabbits to have a chance of it happening.

darn what a shame! Thanks for the information though it saved me alot of trial breedings. I just thought it would be a great color to maybe one day have passed in rabbits. :-(

I have an ermine angora with eyes that are so close to blue I almost got in an argument with the breeder. He was using "blue eyes" as his main selling point (I was looking for the coat, not the eyes).They're actually considered grey but if you are looking for a pointed rabbit with blue eyes I'm sure you can find one of the grey-eyed ones that comes pretty close. If you want the true ice-blue of a real BEW you'll have to do without the points...or you could give it some freshly printed newspaper to play with.

arachyd":12aeu3bh said:
If you want the true ice-blue of a real BEW you'll have to do without the points...or you could give it some freshly printed newspaper to play with.

oooh, only the Haredresser knows for sure!!!!

5 week old Blue-eyed Seal Point lionhead:

rabbit208.jpg

It's as akane said. You need a lot of luck to get something like this. Note that this guy has some white Vienna markings too. If you are super lucky perhaps it could have no Vienna markings but still have the blue eyes, but I've never seen it in person. I think the blue eyes are more likely to come when the rabbit has more of the white Vienna markings.

If instead this rabbit had been a Blue-eyed Sable Point, those white markings wouldn't have been as noticeable since the rabbit is white anyway. But Vienna markings appear most often on the nose, mouth, and feet, and those are the dark parts on Sable Point and Seal Point, so something would likely show somewhere.

You can probably do the same thing with Pointed White/Himalayan but for sure the pupils of the eyes will be red. Only the iris will be blue.

Sorry to say, while that is an extremely cute Lionhead, it is NOT a pointed! It is a blue cream or possibly a blue tort. Neither is a pointed colour. All pointeds will have red eyes due to lack of melanin, while blues eyes can produce just enough to show blue. Sable point is actually a chinchilla tort. Seal points despite the name are actually shadeds (demented torts). While the blues can and will show up in vienna marked rabbits without the white markings, it won't happen in an actual pointed or Himi -marked rabbit. I have seen black rabbits with the vienna blue eyes and no white markings and I think it is absolutely freaky-looking!!

I am 99% sure that this rabbit is a Seal Point or modified variant. The mother is a Siamese Sable (obvious), and the father (who is a Vienna carrier) looks just like this guy, except that he has yellowish-brown eyes.

But I am indeed having some issues determining this exact color type and would appreciate any further input. I, too, once thought this was a blue Seal Point, because as you have noticed, the coloring on the ears, nose, and rear paws is very bluish, and not dark brown as I have seen on other Sable Point and Seal Points.

But, the father bred to a Blue Seal (also obvious, among the bluest rabbits I've seen) makes only Black Seal babies. So blue is (sadly) not even in his gene pool as far as I know.

He does kind of look like a cream, but Agouti is not in this gene pool. Self is not in this gene pool. I own no rabbits of either type.

Chocolate may be in the gene pool. The father, and this rabbit, could possibly be a chocolate seal point. The breeder who is making all these rabbits in my state is playing heavily with chocolate. I'm currently thinking of getting a Choco Tort (plentiful here) to test breed the father with again.

I've shown the father of this rabbit to a number of very experienced breeders, and he has been misidentified as Sable Point (I know he is not because he cannot produce REW) and Siamese Smoke Pearl. The breeder who produced this rabbit said he calls this a "Smoke Point" although he was not clear on what that means genetically. I assumed it meant blue Seal Point, as he does appear that way, but test breeding to a Blue produced huge disappointment for me.

I also forgot to mention that the father rabbit, bred to the Siamese Sable mother, produces plenty of Siamese Sable babies. He produces Seal, Siamese Sable, Seal Point, and Sable Point rabbits. Never REW. As well as some slightly strange variants, of which himself is one, which is why I suspect something else is in there. But I'm pretty sure it is not Agouti or Self. I used to think dilute was in there, but now I'm sad that it doesn't appear to be the case. I suppose it could be chocolate, but then why does he look so blue? The other possibility might be that he is something weird like cchlcchd.

i agree lloks very blue cream or blue tort to me maybe ever black tort but i cant tell that close but i deffinatly wouldnt say seal point but i am human i may be wrong

Latest posts

Back