Please......... I'd really like your opinion.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
So I'm trying to sell a couple purebred baby Holland lops and I placed an online listing. I'm asking $30 each and state that they are just 6 weeks old...............

There's this guy that contacts me and says he's interested. This isn't the first time he has contacted me over the past 6 months when we have had babies or seniors that we are selling. The thing that makes me feel weird is that he only wants bucks.

Typically the people that purchase bunnies or rabbits from us in the past have been caucasian woman or girls. Not often have we had a man express interest...... but this guy contacts almost every time........ and then he never shows up (the first couple times we had talked with him).

In his recent correspondence he said "Some people don't mind buck or doe, but I only do bucks", so I kept it cool and replied "Thank you for your inquiry. You said you only do bucks. How many do you have? What breeds? What do you do with them?" Then he replied "I have 2 Hollands. Chubby and Guy. They are my babies, my pets. What did you think I was gonna do with him? People don't pay over $5 for Rabbits that are being used for feed. And I'm not into breeding at all. That's why I only do bucks. Does that answer your questioner?"

So do I really want to sell rabbits that we raise from babies and care for to this guy? I guess I'm just worried that he might use them for other reasons than as pets. Like to fight, or something else.

He also contacts another breeder that we are friends with and has purchased a couple rabbits from her. It makes me wonder how many he "really" has and if they are his pets or what.... Like I said, it's usually women or girls that want rabbits, not typically grown men....

Your thoughts???? Do people ever use rabbits to fight like people do with pit bulls and roosters?

Thanks.

I've never heard of rabbit fighting. They are too unpredictable and easily stressed. I'm sure someone's tried it but most rabbits probably wouldn't even fight under those kinds of conditions. Likely they are human or pet food or resold to pet stores for a profit. It's best to price above what petstores would give.

Training hounds is a more likely use, but they still prefer cheap rabbits for that, and bigger/faster ones. And older. 6 weeks is too young for most "nefarious purposes."

Even if I doubt it's for anything bad.
By all means, trust your guts.
If someone is giving you a bad feeling you don't ever EVER have to sell a rabbit to them.

Okay. Just wanted to ask the seasoned veterans on this board. I have no idea what people could use rabbits for other than pets (and I suppose meat).

I would agree Zass, it seems that they would want cheaper ones for any of those other activities (that I don't agree with).

I'll use my gut and just not sell him anything......... I think everyone (and our bunnies) are better off that way.

Thank you.

Why don't you ask him to send you some pictures of the current housing he has for his rabbits? That will give you some idea of how he cares for them.

Many people prefer bucks as pets for a number of reasons; they are often more affectionate, don't have hormonal swings like does do, and are much less expensive to get neutered.

I can't see a Holland being used for any "nefarious purposes"... people that buy rabbits for meat generally want larger animals, people that run beagles want rabbits that look as wild as possible, and if I were to choose a rabbit to pit fight, it certainly wouldn't be one with a mellow puppy-dog personality. I can't really see the appeal of using the breed for taxidermy, either, unless the guy has a really weird hobby... :?

Thanks again everyone. I found the guys Facebook page and let's just say....... he doesn't look like the average American guy.

He doesn't look like the type that does taxidermy or in-house neutering. He's just weird.

Enough said........... I'll keep the rabbits before I sell them to him. Something just doesn't sit right with me about this guy.

Thanks.

jimmywalt":394gxh8z said:
He doesn't look like the type that does taxidermy or in-house neutering. He's just weird.

There's a type for that? :shock:

Actually, I had noticed, most (90%) of the taxidermists or taxidermy students I met seeking bunnies to work on were younger girls (almost always under 30, many under 18).
Most were quite pretty, and over 50% were Caucasian.

One of a kind name IN THE WORLD and happened to find him in my city on Facebook. Probably shouldn't post is profile picture........... but let's say........ he's the LAST GUY on earth that you would guess had bunnies as pets.

jimmywalt":23ge7gqe said:
Not often have we had a man express interest...... but this guy contacts almost every time........ and then he never shows up (the first couple times we had talked with him)..

This is what would make me cross him off a list, even if he wasn't giving you teh Kreeps Vibe.
I don't like to clear my life schedule only to have a No Call No Show.

I agree... he's already no-showed on you more than once, obviously. That would be enough for me.

But ALWAYS listen to that gut feeling. There's very likely an excellent reason it's there.

I wouldn't sell to someone who was creepy or was repeat no-show. But I don't think a man buying rabbits is weird, I've had quite a few men buy rabbits from me, as breeder or pets. I've also had people very set on gender too, often bucks make friendlier pets.

As male rabbit hobbyist, I have not met a rabbit breeder who change their mind upon meeting me or talking on the phone.

You won't believe this................................

We were at one of the local farm stores getting rabbit food. They also sometimes have bunnies for sale. We were looking at the bunnies (the Holland Lops) and THE GUY walks around the corner with a 50# bag of rabbit food and says "Those are the best. They are Holland Lops". I said "Do you have rabbits?", He says "Yes, 11 - they are fun pets"....... and he walks off.

That was THE GUY. He's one in a million so there was NO doubt!

Guess he must be "ok". He has 11 rabbits, knows the breeds (he has various breeds he told us), and he buys the expensive food for his rabbits.

WOW! :p <br /><br /> __________ Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:36 pm __________ <br /><br />
Wabbitjack":276t241w said:
As male rabbit hobbyist, I have not met a rabbit breeder who change their mind upon meeting me or talking on the phone.

You're from downtown Chicago? Where do you keep your rabbits? :D

jimmywalt":pe1cpg0a said:
You're from downtown Chicago? Where do you keep your rabbits? :)

At Millennium Park!

To be fair I wouldn't post my exact location for security reasons as well.

Wabbitjack":1wqr84cq said:
jimmywalt":1wqr84cq said:
You're from downtown Chicago? Where do you keep your rabbits? :)

At Millennium Park!

To be fair I wouldn't post my exact location for security reasons as well.

Assuming what you put in your profile for your location is correct........41.8819° N, 87.6278° W

1 S State St Chicago, IL 60603

I suppose that's not too exact. LOL! :lol:

Back