PLEASE HELP

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oando

Reaction score
My doe gave birth to 5 kits on Tuesday, one was still born, one did not survive the first night and one this morning got out of the nest box and I found her dead (I tried warming her for over 2 hours, but she was already gone :( so now there are only 2 Kits left. One is large and has a Plumb belly and looks really healthy. The other kit is about half the size, her belly is not very big, and every time I go check on her, she is so cold. I warm her up on a heating pad and then I will put her back in the nest box. She is constantly opening her mouth as if she wants to nurse and keeps makes little squeaking noises. I tried holding my doe so she could nurse, but the little kit just won't. I am so worried I might lose her. How can I make sure she is getting fed and keep her warm? Any tips on keeping her alive would be greatly appreciated. Also she is always rolling around on her back? They other kit will lay on her stomach, but not the little one? Is that anything I should be concerned about?
Thank you in advance, I don't think I can handle losing another kit

Sorry you've had such rotten luck with this litter, but please don't blame yourself -- sometimes these things happen.

To keep the remaining kits warm, warm a screw-cap bottle with hot water and then dump it out and refill it. Hot water from the tap is fine. Pull a sock over the bottle and lay it along one side of the nest box. The kits can move towards it or away depending on their need. You will need to renew it a few times a day. There are other things you can use, such as a heating pad, but it is vital that the kits can get away from it if it is too hot for them.

Kits can be fed from a dropper or syringe, but it is has a low rate of success. There is a lot of information in the "stickies" at the top of the Care of Does and Kits forum. Here are a couple of links:
formula-feeding-baby-bunnies-pics-vids-t3691.html
updated-hand-feeding-formula-t27372.html

We bring ours in the house. Then there isnt any need to remember to replace anything outside, and they stay plenty warm. It doesnt seem to bother anything and they don't go anywhere. We put them in a plastic tub without a lid, that is lined with a towel. In our case, its to keep them from falling out of the nestbox as we still need to put babysaver wire on moms cage, and we have a cat that like to linger in hopes maybe one will wiggle out. I would also give the little on an extra feeding, or watch and make sure mom stays long enough that she will make it happen. Once they eat, remove them from the box again. We do this for the first couple of weeks and actually prefer it now, and have a good success rate with easy going moms.

Update: I just checked on them and my little kit has died. :(
Now I just want to keep my at least my last kit healthy and alive, any tips on keeping the last kit alive? Why do you think my other kit died? She wasn't cold, when she died?

Sounds like she may have failed to thrive. You felt her and she was warm? Did she look fed? From Tues to Fri she would have needed to eat at some point, or would be getting very weak. As for keeping the single alive, I would also bring it inside as it doesn't have any siblings to warm it. We never worry about specifically rubbing ours to help them potty, but some will say its necessary. We usually end up holding ours in the evening while we watch tv and pet them some anyway. Since its one, I would only take it for feedings once a day, to make sure it doesnt get too big. Single kits can end up with splayed legs or issues from being able to eat all the food. Best of luck with this last little guy, I am so sorry for all the trouble you have experienced. Rabbits (and any animals really) dont always do what you want, and sometimes there can be unexplained issues arise. Its nothing you could have prevented, please dont beat yourself up. Also, you may want to look at re-breeding soon. With one kit I would go ahead and do that now, but its a personal decision.

Are you keeping the kit in the house? Even if you are, a single kit will probably need some extra heat until it gets more fur. I gave you a suggestion in my previous post.

If the last kit is kept warm and is being fed, there is every reason to hope it will survive. Is it's belly nice and round?

yes the kits are inside (they were born and kept inside 24/7). I did put in a hot water bottle for her, thank you for the suggestion about that.
The little kit died right in front of me, I had her a a heating pad, she was warm to the touch, moving around, and then all of a sudden she just stopped moving. I tried saving her, but she did not come back and now she is all stiff :( her little belly did not look round, and her skin was on the wrinkley side.
The other kit has a very large belly is on the big side. I just want to make sure she survives. Thank you both for all the tips!!

It sounds like there was something wrong with the little one, and that there wasnt much that could have been done. If you had tried to dropper feed it, and it did end up getting some milk, you likely would have only prolonged its death. Mine have always been warm enough inside on their own, but they have also always snuggled together. I have never had one that wasnt able to get in the huddle. For this last little guy, I would just do what you can to make sure hes warm enough, but it sounds like the temp inside might be ok, and that the one who died wasnt cold...

Could I put in hand warmers (in a sock) for him to be able to sit on? Or is it dangerous if my doe chews them? Any tips for keeping him warm all night long, or should I get up every couple hours to put fresh hot water in the water bottle?
I read that a single kit can be over fed, which can be dangerous. Is that true, and if so what should I do to prevent that?
Thank you again

I don't know much about the handwarmers... they contain chemicals, don't they? If the room is warm and the kit has plenty of bedding, I would just give him a fresh hot water bottle before you go to bed and maybe one halfway through the night. He's well-fed and warm to start and is not at risk in the same way as the frailer kits were.

Yes, a singleton kit can be overfed, but I don't think you need to worry about that yet, unless the doe is feeding it too often. We had a similar situation once (single surviving kit, raised with mom indoors) and there was no problem until his eyes were open and he was chasing mom down to get fed too often. We were concerned enough to put him in his own cage and only let him be with mom for an hour or so morning and evening.

Here's the thread about our experience:
meet-our-youngest-lonely-only-pudge-t2637.html?hilit=pudge

Update: thank you everyone for all the help. I loved reading about your single little kit Maggiej. My last little kit is doing well. I got up every 3 hours to put new hot water in the water bottle to keep him warm. He is definitely well fed, he has the biggest belly I have ever seen. Last couple questions, how much is to much handling, I have been handling the little kit a lot making sure he is ok, is that bad? And also the kit does not move much in the nest box, and when I hold him (he will wiggle around when I put him on like a table or something) and he always sleeps on his back in the nest box. Do you think he is dying or am I being overly paranoid? <br /><br /> -- Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:17 am -- <br /><br /> Update: thank you everyone for all the help. I loved reading about your single little kit Maggiej. My last little kit is doing well. I got up every 3 hours to put new hot water in the water bottle to keep him warm. He is definitely well fed, he has the biggest belly I have ever seen. Last couple questions, how much is to much handling, I have been handling the little kit a lot making sure he is ok, is that bad? And also the kit does not move much in the nest box, and when I hold him (he will wiggle around when I put him on like a table or something) and he always sleeps on his back in the nest box. Do you think he is dying or am I being overly paranoid?

Quite honestly I've never noticed if kits sleep on their backs. They do often nurse on their backs, so maybe he is sated and falls asleep like that. Contented kits do not usually move around much the first few days unless they are disturbed. They eat and they sleep and they grow, as do most infant mammals. You may have to stimulate him to urinate, since there are no other kits to move around next to him. Try using a cotton puff moistened with lukewarm water and stroke it along the area of the vent. You won't need to do that for many days and it may not be necessary now, but it can't hurt to try. Handling the kit, as long as he is not out of the nest for extended times, will not harm him.

If both parents are dwarfs some of the kits will not survive.
I've noticed some kits in a litter will sleep on their backs.

Keep an eye on him sleeping on his back if it goes over to when he is a bit older, say 2 weeks. If they are too fat and can't get good grip with their feet, can end up with leg problems (frog legs aka splay legs). Otherwise, good luck :) Glad he seems to be doing so well.

Thank you everyone for all the help and info! I really appreciate it. The little kit is doing really good. I have am still getting to change the hot water every few hours for him. When will I not need to worry about him getting cold?

Update: my little kit is doing really well (8 days old today). my doe is doing a great job feeding her, and I have been making sure she is always warm!! (So spoiled already,lol) thank you everyone again for all the help and all the info!!!

Attachments

• IMG_8806.JPG
    IMG_8806.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 1,336
So glad to hear that your "spoiled" little one is doing so well. She certainly looks plump and contented. :) And what pretty markings she has . . . love to see more pictures when she gets a bit older.

Hi everyone!! Another question about my single little kit, she is almost 3 weeks (on Tuesday) old now (doing well) except I'm a little worried, she doesn't move very much. She doesn't walk around the cage or when I take her out and let her run around the room. She will walk over to me, or to a corner and then just sit there and sleep. Is that normal? I forget if kits are real active at this age, or not. now she is on the chubby side, would that have anything to do with it? Or because she has no other kits to play with? Or do you think she may be sick? Thanks everyone again In advanced

Attachments

• IMG_8828.JPG
    IMG_8828.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 1,312
Back