Dewormer.....Grapefruit seed extract?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
:( Ok, so is there a veggie, or something you can give a rabbit, to strengthen it's immune system?
My buck seems to be getting hit with one thing after another. :( Sigh.
He has a poopy wet butt each day, that I've been cleaning. (For the last 2 or 3 days) No diarrhea in the cage, just hard poos.
I just got him dewormed from pinworms (And my doe also) about a month ago. This morning, I went out, cleaned his butt, and noticed a pinworm looking thing on his poo hole. :cry: Could it possibly be left over from the last? It didn't move....I don't know if it was dead or not.....are their natural cures to get rid of pinworm? I JUST got both my rabbits dewormed a month ago! How could this happen? They are off the ground, and I clean their poo out of the cages twice a day! :cry: And why does my buck have a poopy butt?

The vet bill says:

For my female: Panacur dewormer
For my male: Fenbendazole dewormer.

Just what the vet gave me....

Panacur is the brand name for the drug fenbendazole and it is effective against pinworms (not all wormers are). A second 3 day treatment is occasionally necessary 28 days later.

You must also thoroughly disinfect cages, food and water bowls and toys to be certain they do not become re-infected with pinworms.

They can also pick up pinworm eggs from rodent, cotton tail, hare or other rabbit droppings they come in contact with on fresh greens or soil

The eggs can survive up to 21 days in the enviroment

How am I supposed to wash this?

new-hutch.jpg

Use tub and tile?

Is that wood they are on? If so, you can't really disinfect that very well.

Perhaps his digestive system is a little out of kilter, and he just needs some probiotics?

Like Dood says, disinfect what you can, and make sure to continue the pinworm treatment at the required intervals so the eggs and hatchlings you can't treat very well have as low a chance of reinfecting as possible. Maybe move the rabbits to different quarters until the eggs can die off in the hutch?

Disinfection is probably done with a 10:1 water:bleach solution, but maybe Dood knows for sure. You should be able to find the answer in a web search, too.

I live in Washington, and it has already had some below freezing nights. Thursday and Friday, it is supposed to snow even. :mrgreen: And this morning (8:30) it was 32F! :p Wowzers!
Anyway, here is my dilemma:
My rabbits live in big wood hutches, and I have to keep my water offline, or it will freeze. So I can't really go washing the cage now.... ;)
I currently have a few small 3ft by 3ft cages....should I just put them in there after I deworm? But the problem with that is, I already "Winterized" my hutch....how would I winterize a 3 by 3? :( And would they have to just live in there all winter? :x I really don't like that prospect.....I do have another hutch, that isn't finished yet. (I'm fixing it up) and I was really hoping to save it for my new rabbits I'll be getting in January (Hopefully) so I was really wanting a "Contamination free" cage....and not risk ANY health issues with the new rabbits....and It would be more cleaning for me in the long run....sigh.

I guess the only options I can think of right now is:
1. Put them in small cages in the process of deworming, and once there are no more worms transfer them to clean small cages (I have like 6 3 by 3 cages) and once they are done w/ the deworming process completely it will probably be spring ish.....and they could just hold out in the smaller cages until I can get the water back on... :|

2. I would rather not risk keeping them in the same cage all winter. (AAAAAAH! BAD TIME TO GET WORMS BUNNIES! :x )
Because they'd risk getting worms again.

3. I wouldn't really want to wait to deworm them all winter..... :?

Tell me what you guys think!!!

Just a thought, but if you have hot water in your house and a bucket, you can wash your rabbit hutches. I know it's not fun, but we do what we have to. For me, that means bringing water out several times a day to my buns during the winter.

And just something to think about. You seem to have been having a string of issues with your rabbits. Maybe you should get them all worked out, and go a few months without any new issues popping up before you bring home more rabbits. If I were you, I would concentrate on the ones I have now, get them sorted out, get through the winter with no more issues, and then think about adding to my herd come spring. Just to be safe.

YAY! I got the dewormer! (And two doses for each of them this time! ;) :mrgreen: )
I do have one dilemma though.... due to traveling concerns...I may have to wait until December 1st to deworm them...!
Would this be a problem?!!

And just something to think about. You seem to have been having a string of issues with your rabbits. Maybe you should get them all worked out, and go a few months without any new issues popping up before you bring home more rabbits. If I were you, I would concentrate on the ones I have now, get them sorted out, get through the winter with no more issues, and then think about adding to my herd come spring. Just to be safe.

Ya, I had pretty much already decided that.... :( <br /><br /> -- Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm -- <br /><br /> Um....waiting on deworm...would that be ok? For a week.....?

Then NO !!!!

It is not okay to wait until it fits your schedule to properly care for your animals !!

What if you had been sick for months and finally they figured out what was wrong but your parents said they would wait two weeks to give you the medicine because they were travelling :groooan:

Just out of curiosity - how old are you?

I'm wondering about your age too Easy Ears.
I have also had a harder time placing you based on your typing style. It doesn't matter if you are younger or older and a bit inexperienced though, I'm glad you joined in here. :)

Then NO !!!!

It is not okay to wait until it fits your schedule to properly care for your animals !!

What if you had been sick for months and finally they figured out what was wrong but your parents said they would wait two weeks to give you the medicine because they were travelling :groooan:

Just out of curiosity - how old are you?

Dood,
You need to understand the situation.
I will be leaving for my Grandparents house this thanksgiving, and will need to have someone care for them while I am gone.
I would not want to put the trouble on the person caring for them, to have to make sure their poo is out of the way like 3 times a day. Once they are de-wormed, I need to make sure the poo is cleared away, so that they do not re-digest the worms.
I wouldn't want to burden anyone else with this task, and neither would I really trust them either. ;)

Sigh. :walkplank:
Does it really matter what age I am? :( I was hoping not to be put in "Rank" by my age. Even if you don't think you do this...you probably do. Mentally you will just store this info in your brain...and...ya. :|
I'm 14. I am young, and may be inexperienced, but I have read a lot. I have been e-mailing a lady who has had rabbits for about 50 years, who has been my mentor, until I found Rabbittalk.
How old are you Zass? Dood? Akane? :mrgreen:

-- Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:39 pm --

Oh, and what about my typing style Zass? :shock:

I'm 31. I had a hard time placing your age because your typing has the tone of a younger person, but you have a very good vocabulary. You often structure your sentences like an older person as well.
I'm sorry that asking your age bothered you. :(
It's just that, now that I am aware that you are a bit younger, I understand that your questions would benefit from more in depth answers and explanations.

I don't believe that anyone on here, or at rabbit shows would treat you like a "lesser ranked" rabbit raiser due to your age. Actually, I'm not at all embarrassed to admit that I've been shown a thing or two about type and conformation from much younger breeders than you!

Although you didn't ask me specifically, I will add that I am closer to your grandparents' age- 51. I will now dust off and put on my *old lady hat*.

Here's the thing, EE. Everyone here wants you to do well with your rabbits- for your sake AND theirs. I can't speak for Dood or Zass, but for me, the reason your age was questioned (I had guessed you were 15), is that you seem to be a little caught up in the "instant gratification" world. "Oh, I have a problem with X, how do I fix it? OK, now that that is fixed, let's talk about Y...and now Z."

I don't mean to be harsh, but one day you said you had "pretty much decided" to wait until spring to get more rabbits to give yourself time to clear up some issues your buns have had, and yet, only two days later you are asking one of our members if you can buy a brood doe from them.

I can tell you from experience that one of the quickest ways to get burned out on something is to jump in with both feet at a hundred miles an hour. You can end up in over your head very quickly that way. I am sure you know people who have decided "I don't like X any more, I am not into that now" because of problems they ran into. The folks here at RT are just trying to help you not be one of those people.

When I started with rabbits, they were actually a spur of the moment thing. They were given to us by a total stranger who no longer wanted to deal with them. We spent about a year with just those two rabbits, learning all we could, living with them, seeing what day to day issues would come up and dealing with them. THEN we added to our herd, slowly, having planned all the additions ahead of time. We have now had rabbits for three years, and we still only have six permanent residents (two of which we just added in the last month).

You want to have rabbits five years from now? You want them to be healthy and happy? You want to enjoy the hobby and not be frustrated with constant problems? Then slow down, take your time. When a problem comes up, deal with it. Then let some time pass to make sure it's resolved. Yes, it's hard to not just go out and grab everything you want at once, but taking your time will make things better for the buns, for you, and for your parents.

This post probably reads like I am beating you up for being young. I am sorry. I have a lot of respect for you taking the time to ask questions when things don't go right. You are obviously concerned and dedicated. It shows. Just know that everything can't be fixed in an instant. Let some time pass after changes are made and see how it is going before you move on to something new.

I wish you nothing but the best with your rabbits, and I will continue to try and help with any issues that come up.

:yeahthat:
Easy Ears":1yh2iqr4 said:
Dood,
You need to understand the situation.
I will be leaving for my Grandparents house this thanksgiving, and will need to have someone care for them while I am gone.
I would not want to put the trouble on the person caring for them, to have to make sure their poo is out of the way like 3 times a day. Once they are de-wormed, I need to make sure the poo is cleared away, so that they do not re-digest the worms.
I wouldn't want to burden anyone else with this task, and neither would I really trust them either. ;)
The new poop with worm killer in it wont re-infect your rabbits.

It is the old poop that has healthy worm eggs in it that will cause your rabbits to catch worms again. Your set up looks very clean and i think you did not erradicate the worms the first time you medicated them - fenbendazole/safeguard MUST be given every 24 hours for 3 doses or else you are just breeding the worms to become resistant to this drug.

Sigh. :walkplank:
Does it really matter what age I am? :(
No, but I would be less harsh and more understanding of someone who has only been on the planet for 10 years.

I was hoping not to be put in "Rank" by my age.
Age has NOTHING to do with knowledge
Even if you don't think you do this...everyone does.
No they dont. I am the last person in the world who would judge someone based solely on their age as I have nieces and nephews, who are all under 12, that know more about animal genetics than many of the adults on this board :mrgreen: I was also a very informed young person, in specific areas (finances and car repair still baffle me :roll: ) who knew more about exotic animal medicine than the veterinarians I worked for.

I have read all I can on everything I can about rabbits.
No you haven't, not even close :( The fact is you will NEVER stop learning about rabbit keeping even if you live to be 100.

I have been e-mailing a lady who has had rabbits for about 50 years, who has been my mentor, until I found Rabbittalk.
A mentor is not there to answer every question you ask but to guide you in the right direction so you learn how to find the answers yourself. I recommend you read all the stickys at the top of each forum topic :)

Just trying to help, no one is down talking or placing because of your age. In asking it helps people trying to reply how to explain things so that it can be understood better, nothing more or less.

The person feeding/watering your rabbits shouldn't have to do any thing extra if you go ahead and do the 3 days of worming and then clean up prior to leaving (and each day of course). Those rabbits need wormed asap, it could mean the difference between having live healthy rabbits and sickly worm infested almost dead ones. I've read back and saw you were having some issues otherwise so its even more important to get it under control sooner than later. Leaving an infestation can kill if it gets severe enough, I've seen 1 case with a pet that there was nothing else that could be done but put the poor thing down. It was confirmed with the vet after my advice wasn't taken to at least have a fecal done to see if that was the reason it was poorly coated loosing weight and bloated even though it ate like it'd never seen food. I saw the poor rabbit shortly before they finally decided to take it to the vet as they wanted me to see it to make sure they were making the right choice to take to the vet, honestly I was surprised it lived that long. It happens with other animals too, more commonly seen in dogs and cats. That's why some are avid about making sure new pups/cats are wormed asap. My aunt's GSD cross almost died from pinworm/roundworm infestation, she wormed her but not long enough duration and then a secondary infection set in from them. The vet even warned her that worming her may kill her with her having worms so bad but leaving her and not treating was signing her death; reason it might cause problems was the large amount of worms dieing off can cause lots of problems. It is not some thing to mess with or brush off lightly. Doing well and learning takes time and effort, as said no one ever learns every thing. Its true you can learn a lot and what may seem like every thing, but there's always some thing else...good luck with them and I hope it takes care of your problems :)

It's fine. I over reacted...sorry. Like I said long day. ;)
You guys did make me feel better though. Thanks! :) And thanks for the long replies! Means a lot!

-- Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 pm --

Wait....so if I deworm them now....they will poop out just dead worms right? I was just concerned that they'd poo out a live one and re-digest it again. Ok, so this Tuesday it is supposed to get up into the 60's (F) here, so I was thinking: Deworm them now and put them in the small cages and clean the Hutch Tuesday, and put them back in the clean hutch Wed. (I'm leaving Wed.)
The vet gave me 2 doses, and I recall Dood saying the second dose needs to be given about 3 weeks after the first to kill the newly hatched babies? Is that right? 2 or 3 weeks?

Please answer about this soon! :)

Am getting very frustrated Easy Ears - this will be the THIRD time I've told you, specifically, how to medicate with fenbendazole and the second time in this post alone! In addition there are NUMEROUS other posts on the forum about using this drug if you do a search! The "search" button is found on the right hand column.

It is the old poop that has healthy worm eggs in it that will cause your rabbits to catch worms again. Your set up looks very clean and i think you did not erradicate the worms the first time you medicated them - fenbendazole/safeguard MUST be given every 24 hours for 3 doses or else you are just breeding the worms to become resistant to this drug.

If you keep asking questions that have already been answered or have been throughly covered already and doing a simple search will bring up the information then people are going to start ignoring your cries for help.

Latest posts

Back