PLEASE HELP ME!! EMERGENCY!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So we moved several of my rabbits into the goat room as we call it. Well our goats are butt holes and they kept knocking his hanging feeder out. We've been looking for zipties to fix it but my boyfriends step-dad lost them so we've been trying our best to find them. Up until now the buck in the cage has stayed in his cage but this morning when I went down he was out and under another hutch laid out. He looked up but didn't make any attempt to move *I put that off as him just being a very tame buck.* I brought him inside so I could get help looking for zipties and we have him on the couch now. I think he broke something. He's not hardly using his back legs at all, he's laying out with his hind legs behind him. He's trying to move but but he's obviously in pain. He's just dragging himself around. I'm gonna give him some white willow bark powder if that's ok for him? I know willow branches are but I really need some help I am freaking out right now!! <br /><br /> -- July 16th, 2016, 10:54 am -- <br /><br /> I REALLY DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO WILL SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!! I AM FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!!!!

I hate to say this but...I've never had much luck helping a rabbit acting the way you described. He's obviously suffered some sort of trauma from jumping out of the cage or the goats.

See the following link and best of luck!

http://www.petmd.com/rabbit/conditions/musculoskeletal/c_rb_vertebral_fracture_luxation <br /><br /> -- Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:06 am -- <br /><br /> Here's another link I just found. Maybe it will give you an idea how to help him.
http://www.disabledrabbits.com/paralysis.html

Any chance to talk to a vet?

If he's in pain you can give him Aspirin, 10-100mg/kg, but it's not recommended if there is the chance of internal bleeding...
After half a day I would try it if the pain keeps him from eating.

http://canigivemyrabbit.com/aspirin/
http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medicati ... gesics.htm

Is he eating? Offer him everything, when he stops to eat it gets just more complicated.

As far as my secondhand knowledge goes, he may be not permanently paralyzed, there is a small chance that he can recover. It depends on how severe the injury is.

Well from the way it looks to me he squeezed out of the feeder hole. He is still using his legs a little but not much. We don't have any aspirin but would Turmeric help? I'm gonna give him a nice soft bed inside and give him food and water. If Turmeric or White willow powder help with the pain and won't kill him I'll give him both I'll look on google! Thank you for giving me some hope Homer and Preitler.

If he is able to move his legs, then he may not have broken his back and may make a recovery. Keep him in something like a pet carrier with bedding to help prop him up-- hay is good and may encourage him to nibble. He needs to rest, not move around more than can be helped. Make sure he can reach his food and water. If he has control of his bowels and bladder, these are favourable signs. You will have to change the bedding under his butt to keep him from getting urine scald.

Willow bark would be best for pain relief, in my opinion, because he can self-medicate according to his need. It is also very nutritious. You can use the willow bark powder, but he may not take it readily. I think you could infuse it in boiling water and offer it to drink after cooling.

I'm so sorry this happened! I'm praying he makes a quick recovery!

We had something kinda like that happen with our rabbit Gandalf. Our dog Daisy ( a terrier mix or something...we call her a Pavement special) got him. We thought he broke his back as well. But in the end just a bit of bruising. Now he's 100 % healthy!

I'm not a rabbit breeder or a vet or anything, so I don't know what will help. Just want you to know that I'm praying for you and him!
Wishing you the best of luck! :( ;) :good-luck: :lilbunny: :sorry:

Best sign of a broken back is a lack of the ability to hold your poo in. IF he is dropping poo balls all the time, its broken.
If he can move a little or feels you pinch his back toes, he may improve over time.

I'll boil some water and mix some willow powder into it. I'm gonna scoot him up further in his cage and make sure he can reach his water. He has food and hay in his cage and has not been uncontrollably pooping so these are all good things I suppose. He nibbled on a banana earlier but not very much. I'm gonna give him the banana as well and we're all gonna hope for the best!

-- July 16th, 2016, 1:00 pm --

I'll boil some water and mix some willow powder into it. I'm gonna scoot him up further in his cage and make sure he can reach his water. He has food and hay in his cage and has not been uncontrollably pooping so these are all good things I suppose. He nibbled on a banana earlier but not very much. I'm gonna give him the banana as well and we're all gonna hope for the best! <br /><br /> -- July 16th, 2016, 1:32 pm -- <br /><br /> Turns out we have a willow tree on our property!! I've looked at it a few times but I could've sworn it was on our neighbors property.. But it's not! I went and pulled down a good piece and it has tons of green leaves! I pulled him forward in the cage *Very carefully and slowly I made sure to support his entire body and kept my energy calm so he wouldn't move much* He was chewing on the leaves of the willow which I feel is a very good sign.

I've had two rabbits like that so far. And I'm sorry, I hate to say it, but if he can't use his back legs at all, I would give him 2-3 days at most. The toe pinch test is probably the most accurate. If he's in pain though, the willow would certainly help.

Well he's moving his hind legs and doing pretty good. I have another post Is this lump normal? Where I'll be posting updates on how he's doing.

Back