Please Help Kindling

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammysue63

Reaction score
We have a Doe that was due to kindle on the 22nd. This is her second time breeding she missed the first time. Last night she appeared to be having trouble and ended up having 1 still born kit. She is now bleeding a little, not alot more like small spots mixed with a clear liquid, hard to explain.
We are not sure if she is done or if we should be doing something. She is drinking but still not eating. She pulled some fur yesterday, but I don't think she has pulled any since.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

She could well still have kits inside her. Birthing usually takes place over a short period of time, but sometimes it can be extended over 24 hours of more. Not eating is normal... She will make up for it later. Drinking is a good sign. Is she moving around normally? Does she seem to be distressed? Is her breathing laboured?

Chances are good that left to herself she will finish the job within the next few hours. The clear fluid with a bit of blood sounds pretty normal, since the sac would have broken when the first kit was delivered.

If you have some TUMS in the house, keep them handy. They are calcium and can be helpful. If things do not progress, try giving her one. I understand the berry flavoured ones are preferred by rabbits. :roll: Do not give a non-calcium antacid... It is the calcium that can helps. A bit of yogourt may be used instead.

I have to tell you, all this I am saying is gleaned from the experiences of others. I've never had a doe that could not get the job done without help. So keep an eye on her, but be fairly confident that she will handle it herself. Please keep us updated.

She is moving around normally, does not seemed distressed at all and is breathing normally thank goodness. We do have tums with calcium and yogourt so we are good there.
Thank you I feel much better now, we will wait and see what happens and will update when we know anything.

From what I know, then, I'd say all is well. She may only have had the one kit or you may find some more in the nestbox sometime today. If she is not distressed there is no reason for you to be either. Thank goodness. :)

Still nothing yet, she is not eating and is drinking very little but other than that she seems to be fine hopping around and coming to the door for attention. Maybe that was all she had and hopefully she will start eating and drinking soon.

Okay, it sounds as though perhaps she only had one bun in the oven. I'd try tempting her appetite with healthy treats: some twigs from a safe tree (apple, pear, elm, willow, poplar, sugar or silver maple) and anything fresh like a slice of apple, carrot etc. A bit of parsley if you have some. Sometimes a treat will get them eating again.

Cut an apple into 16 slices, if one gets a treat I have a hard time not giving them all one. She was eating when I went into the barn so that was a good thing, but she really enjoyed the apple, they all did. By the time I left the barn they were all coming over to the door to see if I had any more, even the ones that usually try to ignore me. :up:
Thank you MaggieJ for helping me through it, I feel much better now.
My husband says I worry too much, I have no idea where he gets that from :whistle:

Sammysue, you may worry too much but it's better than not worrying enough, if you know what I mean. ;) I'm very glad to hear she is eating again... She should be okay now, just keep a bit of an eye on her for a couple more days.

Apple is a nice treat for the buns, especially this time of year when other greens are still scarce. If we'd just get three or four days well above freezing there would be new timothy coming up... It's trying hard. Catnip is poking out here, but that's only of interest to a certain moggie. I've been sprouting black oil sunflower seeds in a colander in the kitchen to add a bit of interest to the rabbits' diet until the greens start coming.

It's supposed to be above freezing for a few days starting tomorrow! Yay! Cage cleaning, here I come!

MaggieJ":sdpzfcmv said:
I've been sprouting black oil sunflower seeds in a colander in the kitchen to add a bit of interest to the rabbits' diet until the greens start coming.
In a colander? That sounds interesting is it hard? Do you just feed them once they've sprouted?

Easiest way to sprout them that I've found. I soaked the seeds overnight in tepid water, then poured them into the colander (one of those vintage enamelware ones, not that it would matter). I put the colander on a plate on the counter near the sink. Makes it easy to remember to rinse them two or three times a day.

Once the seeds split and put out shoots, I began feeding them to the rabbits... just a few at first and working up to a good handful shared by two adults and several youngsters. The remaining seeds continued to grow. I finally got around to planting the last of them in some shallow meat trays and hope they will throw up a few leaves. At that point I will cut them and feed as greens. Sunflower leaves and stems are a favourite with my rabbits. :)

Back