Playing the handyman

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
I've been spinning a lot, and watching episodes of this old house.

This house and barn were built in 1919 and used to be an orchard. Right now it is encased in aluminum siding, no character. I tend to think of it as the tin can house.

Well I decided to look up houses built in 1920's here, hoping to find some info about what was actually here, and instead, found that during that time peroid, a house style called American Foursquare was prominent, and the description fit this house to a T. Except where were the wood clapboards, spindled porch and wood shingled facing?

I decided to take a look. The porch is sided on both sides, so I ripped off the corner and found the spindles. They were in great shape, although a few were removed closest to the columns, to make space for the supports the siding was nailed into. With joyful glee I started ripping the siding off...

then I started ripping it off the front of the house, and found the original yellow painted clapboards in great condition, a little dirty but no worse for the wear. No rot, and not a dent, except the ones I made prying off the siding.

Then I really took a look at the top. The pieces ripped away during Sandy actually revealed the scalloped wood shingles. I can't believe I never noticed them before!

At this point, all I can do is the lower front half, because i don't do ladders, and two other sides of the house are bordered by the vegetable gardens.

Note: I am aware that the original paint is lead based. Thankfully no sanding was required. I washed the house and simply painted over it. The finish is matte smooth, thanks to a very messy paint sprayer and some barn and porch paint. <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:47 pm __________ <br /><br />

With siding.

This is all there was between the siding and the clapboard.

Now that looks like an old farmhouse

Very cool Sky! That's like going on a treasure hunt and finding it! :bow: Wish you were closer. I have a wood lathe and could reproduce some of those spindles for ya.

Wow, Sky! That is so-o-o cool!

Maybe you could find a highschool with a wood shop that would be willing to replicate it for you? We had a lathe at my school. It was fun to use. :)

Back