Plastic lumber for rabbit hutch?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodwinfarm

Reaction score
New to rabbits and wanting to build a rabbit hutch. I hear all sorts of problems with wood in a hutch, so I was wondering if it could be built with plastic composite lumber instead of wood? What do you guys think?

Rebecca

I would think that it would be easier to clean, but I'd also have my concerns about them ingesting it when chewed. It's pretty tough stuff and could have sharp edges when chewed, not something I'd want in their cage or in their stomach.

michaels4gardens said:
I think it works well, just get the kind that is hard, like that used for deck boards, - [not the kind that is soft on the inside, like is used for trim][/quote

I assume you mean something like Trex.

Don't use it, its impregnated with a mildewcide. Have no idea what effects that might have on the buns.

Rabbits gnaw on everything. Only metal can stop them (but they try to gnaw that too). So, just stick with traditional heavy duty wire cages. In the long run, it's cheaper and you and the buns will be happier.

JohnMc":1wd3m2go said:
michaels4gardens":1wd3m2go said:
I think it works well, just get the kind that is hard, like that used for deck boards, - [not the kind that is soft on the inside, like is used for trim][/quote

I assume you mean something like Trex.

Don't use it, its impregnated with a mildewcide. Have no idea what effects that might have on the buns

I use it with no problems, and my rabbits don't chew the plastic much, but-- the wire is on the inside of the lumber [away from the rabbits], I also have wood perches, and willow logs for them to chew on.

If it were me, I would build wire cages and wood frames for them. Easier to clean, no chewing, and fewer problems.

Something like this could easily be given a roof and/or side protection.

image.php

Latest posts

Back