Plant Identification

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wikipedia quote says edible. It's very rare something is edible to humans and not animals like rabbits provided you feed everything in moderation. You want to watch any medicinal properties listed about a plant to help determine how safe it is in larger amounts. Going by this site, http://eatingmymoccasinsnow.blogspot.co ... ureum.html, and that it's a mint family plant it is probably even safe in larger quantities. Lamiaceae are generally edible and the various species are used as seasoning and food plants around the world. http://www.clovegarden.com/ingred/mt_mints.html

bigfoot_158":3i5ogwn1 said:
Ok thanks

Next question: Is deadly to rabbits?

I've honestly never fed it, since it doesn't grow on my current property.
:)
In general, most plants safe for human consumption are also safe to rabbits. (Akane beat me to this!) There are a few notable exceptions, like onion, avocado or cocoa.
There are also a few plants deemed dangerous to us are still safe to feed to to rabbits and most other small animals, as they apparently have a way of dealing with pyrrolizidine alkaloids (found in comfrey, coltsfoot, etc.) that humans do not.

I hope someone else can fill in a more definite answer.
I would feel fairly comfortable feeding it in small quantities to my hard and observing their reactions.

Some sites claim it's immune to rabbit predation, and others mention the hairy texture may be part of why it's not favored by livestock. My rabbits love comfrey , which is also fuzzy, so that makes me a bit dubious. Perhaps it just appears around the same time as plants that rabbits find more delicious, like dandelion and chickweed?

We've got it EVERYWHERE this time of year. Anything that abundant can't be good for anything. :lol: However, my honeybees do work it quite well ... I guess because it's one of the earlier bloomers.
I've got tons of wild rabbits around and I NEVER see them eating it, so even though it may be edible, I doubt that your rabbits will eat it unless they're really hungry.

I feed it in a mixture with many other plants, and they eat most of it. Although it seems to me that they like white deadnettle a little better, but hard to tell.

Back