Pelt in freezer

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystang89

Reaction score
How do you all put the pelts in the freezer before you tan them? I have a rabbit I will be processing today and didn't want to take the pelt and cover it with salt since it takes sooooo much salt to cover. I know you put the pelt in a zip lock bag and then place the bag in the freezer but do you put the pelt in the zip lock bag skin side up or fur side up. Also, how do you go about unthawing the pelt when you are ready to tan it. Just warm water and then start the tanning process?
Thanks.
P.S Yes, I'm sure I can do a google search for this but I am REALLY tired right now and still have to kill the darn thing, cook it and all that other good stuff.

Fur side, skin side doesn't really matter except that skin side out is easier to thaw. All I ever did to thaw them was take them out of the freezer and leave them, takes a few hours and they're done

I was wondering this myself. Going to put two pelts int he freezer today.

I just put seven in the freezer yesterday, 4 castors, a black otter and a red/amber (never could decide which he was).

I just stuff them into gallon bags, press out all the air I can and toss them into the deep freezer. To thaw, either a real warm room and some warm water or very warm water refilled a few times until soft.

Might want to rinse them depending on whether there is much blood, the blood left will stain the leather side permanently.

Back