Pellet ingredients - fish meal / blood meal??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbgb1912

Reaction score
So I'm looking at different pellet mixes and varieties of food really, and I'm completely new to the whole breeding/feeding/rabbit raising scenario. But I was looking at the ingredients of one mix and noticed blood meal and fish meal, what is this? It sounds super bizarre, and is it healthy? I mean obviously if it's rabbit food right?

Here was what the bag had on it:

Nutritional information
Crude protein min %16.5
Crude fibre Max %15.0
Fat max %7
Salt max %1

Ingredients: wheat, barley, maize, peas, bloodmeal, fishmeal, molasses, salt, tallow, limestone, methionine, Lucerne meal, trace elements, vitamins.

So basically, my question is, is this a healthy diet for my rabbits? And can I bring kits up on this? (Along with a variety of fruit and vege and garden weeds of course) and/or what should I be looking for specifically in an ideal base food for my rabbits?

Zass":3tdecwsj said:
That's a weird rabbit feed. :shock:
It is possible to feed rabbits animal proteins, and they may be healthy on it.
But... I wouldn't feed it to mine.

What things should I be looking for?

Is this combination any better?

Crude Protein 17.0% Minimum
Fibre 16.0% Maximum
Fat 5.0% Maximum
Salt 0.6% Maximum

Lucerne, Maize, , Pollard, Soya Bean Meal, Coconut Meal, Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Minerals & Vitamins, Molasses, Synthetic Amino Acids. <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:49 pm -- <br /><br /> Or option 3

Analysis: Crude Protein (Min) 17.50%, Crude Fat (Min) 5.00%, Crude Fibre (Min) 9.00%

Ingredients
Lucerne, Broll, Kibbled Maize, Sunflower, Sorghum, Oats, Dried Carrot, Dried Peas, Peanuts, Banana Chip, Soya Bean, Molasses, Limestone, Dicalcium Phosphate, Oxide colouring, Salt, Vitamin C EC coated, Methionine, Vitamin A, D, E, K, B1, B2, B6, B12, Folic Acid, Pantothenic Acid, Biotin, Niacin, Choline, Iron, Zinc, Manganese, Copper, Magnesium, Iodine, Cobalt, Selenium.

I like that last one best. The corn and soy is further down the list, and it isn't full of animal by-products. I'm not used to seeing ingredient lists like that though. If you don't mind sharing, where in the world are you located? I think that is going to really affect what is available.

I'm in New Zealand. I'm looking through options available to me online :lol:

You said, corn is further down the list, is corn recommended in smaller amounts? I often feed my buns half a raw cob Maybe once or twice a week

Lucerne as the first ingredient is good but I'd still probably also feed a hay with those. The fiber is rather low in the last one. Is the last one an actual pellet or a mix? With the banana chips and such it seems like it's a mix and those don't work out very well because the animals like to pick out the sugary and fatty bits while leaving important nutrients behind. If you can get a uniform pellet it will be easier to feed a balanced diet. You can add some of the healthier mix ingredients to a plain pellet if you want more variety. Some feed small amounts of black sunflower seeds (the small bird feed ones, not the big striped ones for human eating), flax/linseed, and straight grains like oats or wheat for healthier coats and other benefits.

The bloodmeal is likely added to increase phosphours to balance out a high calcium level and to increase protein

The fish meal is likely just to increase protein levels

Lucerne and alfalfa are the same plant just different names

Maize and corn are the same plant different name

I would stay away from animal products as it is likely to go stale sooner (or even rancid)

I'm pretty sure GMO seeds are banned in Australia and New Zealand. Over 90% of corn and soy are GMO over here and one of the reasons they are frowned upon in North America

I like the diet with no animal products and 16% fibre instead of the 3rd option which only has 9% fibre

akane":1sjmnzdu said:
Lucerne as the first ingredient is good but I'd still probably also feed a hay with those. The fiber is rather low in the last one. Is the last one an actual pellet or a mix? With the banana chips and such it seems like it's a mix and those don't work out very well because the animals like to pick out the sugary and fatty bits while leaving important nutrients behind. If you can get a uniform pellet it will be easier to feed a balanced diet. You can add some of the healthier mix ingredients to a plain pellet if you want more variety. Some feed small amounts of black sunflower seeds (the small bird feed ones, not the big striped ones for human eating), flax/linseed, and straight grains like oats or wheat for healthier coats and other benefits.

Yes it's a mix, one I currently have they pick out their favourite bits too, it's super frustrating. They end up digging through their bowl, and I get mouldy pellets, which then sprout and grow into whatever this is, all over my lawn :lol: <br /><br /> -- Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:17 pm -- <br /><br />
Dood":1sjmnzdu said:
The bloodmeal is likely added to increase phosphours to balance out a high calcium level and to increase protein

The fish meal is likely just to increase protein levels

Lucerne and alfalfa are the same plant just different names

Maize and corn are the same plant different name

I would stay away from animal products as it is likely to go stale sooner (or even rancid)

I'm pretty sure GMO seeds are banned in Australia and New Zealand. Over 90% of corn and soy are GMO over here and one of the reasons they are frowned upon in North America

I like the diet with no animal products and 16% fibre instead of the 3rd option which only has 9% fibre

So high on fibre is good? What about protein for does? Obviously low in salt is good too

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 2,516
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 2,516
16% protein is fine for nursing does and growing kits and what most rabbit feeds contain. I supplement my does with extra fat from Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) to help them keep condition when they are nursing kits but not when pregnant

Keep in mind my rabbits are having 48 to 63 kits a year and on a semi intensive breeding schedule

Your rabbits likely won't need any extra feed and preventing obesity might be your main concern

Dood":ifpr7olx said:
16% protein is fine for nursing does and growing kits and what most rabbit feeds contain. I supplement my does with extra fat from Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) to help them keep condition when they are nursing kits but not when pregnant

So it's fine to feed the same pellets to the kits as to the does?

I don't really have a problem with soy, especially when it's non gmo. I do avoid corn because it's very unbalanced and tends to promote fat production instead of healthier uses for the energy provided. I know it's very hard to avoid in some places though and it is probably high quality than what we use despite my state being known for nothing but corn. I only feed corn to omnivores designed to digest about anything like poultry and pigs. The herbivores just don't use it well and carnivores don't really use it at all. That's why many supplement with sunflower seeds and even horse owners are going to a sunflower seed and flax mixture over grains. You get better muscle mass, heat production in winter, and coat improvements instead of it all just going to lumps of fat. Corn is fed to cattle specifically because it spreads fat through the meat which increases flavor.

akane":3go5s0sg said:
I don't really have a problem with soy, especially when it's non gmo. I do avoid corn because it's very unbalanced and tends to promote fat production instead of healthier uses for the energy provided. I know it's very hard to avoid in some places though and it is probably high quality than what we use despite my state being known for nothing but corn. I only feed corn to omnivores designed to digest about anything like poultry and pigs. The herbivores just don't use it well and carnivores don't really use it at all. That's why many supplement with sunflower seeds and even horse owners are going to a sunflower seed and flax mixture over grains. You get better muscle mass, heat production in winter, and coat improvements instead of it all just going to lumps of fat. Corn is fed to cattle specifically because it spreads fat through the meat which increases flavor.

So the ideal pellet avoids maize/corn. Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

If I can find an ideal base pellet diet, is it okay to add as a treat a mix of: Mixed hay's, rolled Oats, Rosehip, Bilberries, Lavender, Marshmallow Root & Chickweed.

I'm new at all of this, but I believe that hay should be given all the time with pellets, and you feed them it as much as they will eat. Just make sure there's no mold in it. As for the rest of your list, you should be fine feeding them all of them for treats, but don't overdo it. I'm sure somebody else with more knowledge than I will be able to give you more info though.

I'm not sure about rabbits, but I try to stay clear of most 'meal ingredients' when it comes to feeding my dog. You never know exactly what the 'meal' is.

Sorry I couldn't help much, but I'm sure somebody will know more about your concerns. Good luck

Tbgb1912":1pngnrjg said:
So high on fibre is good? What about protein for does? Obviously low in salt is good too
Animals usually won't ingest more salt than they need, and they do need it. If a feed is too low in salt, you will need to supplement with salt... probably the salt with minerals (usually a red block you can knock pieces off of).

Tbgb1912":1pngnrjg said:
If I can find an ideal base pellet diet, is it okay to add as a treat a mix of: Mixed hay's, rolled Oats, Rosehip, Bilberries, Lavender, Marshmallow Root & Chickweed.
I don't know anything about some of those, but I do know you do not want to feed lavender except if you have a doe that is kindling and it isn't going well... and you need the kits out of her as fast as possible, no matter what condition they're in, to try to save the doe. :)

In small amounts all of those are safe. Rosehips can be fed pretty much infinitely. They have a high fiber shell and lots of useful vitamins without much risk of digestive upset or any compounds that could cause health issues. We use them with our much more sensitive chinchillas for that reason. Chickweed could probably be fed in larger amounts as well. I have not fed billberries myself. They aren't something you find here very often or very cheap. I did feed chunks of marshmallow plant to my guinea pigs and I do not see a reason it would be dangerous in larger amounts but I don't know for sure.

Tbgb1912":3e9ssjsb said:
So the ideal pellet avoids maize/corn. Is there anything else I should be looking out for?

During the growing season I feed the above ground parts of marshmallow along with other green forage. Haven't fed the roots--waiting for them to be big enough to harvest and use in cold remedies (for people, not rabbits)
I think marshmallow is on Maggie's list of safe plants for rabbits.

Just make sure we are all talking about the same plants. Being in New Zealand, some of the plants may be different but have the same common name. Except the rose hips. I pretty sure that one is the same. :lol:

Back