Register

Pellet free hens?

Dogs and Cats, Other Pets, Poultry and Livestock. If it's yours and it runs, flies, swims or crawls, post about it here.
Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,628.00

Re: Pellet free hens?

Post Number:#16  Unread postby MaggieJ » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:04 pm

Yeah, vinegar has to go through the alcohol stage before it goes on to become vinegar. IIRC, there are two different kinds of fermentation involved.

But... but... but... down the sink? Couldn't you at least have given it to someone who does indulge?

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 11,860.00

Post Number:#17  Unread postby GBov » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:51 pm

MaggieJ wrote:Yeah, vinegar has to go through the alcohol stage before it goes on to become vinegar. IIRC, there are two different kinds of fermentation involved.

But... but... but... down the sink? Couldn't you at least have given it to someone who does indulge?

That is exactly what my best friend, who does indulge, said! :lol: Only she added a bit of crossness and how could you as well. :lol:

OMG it did smell good, that is why I poured it away, it smelled so nice I was tempted to try it and that would just be bad news for all involved.

Have to figure out how much grain to ferment for the birds now, hmmmmm, wonder what to do it in as well.

Did you ever feel so behind the starting line you cant even see it in the distance? :roll:

Site Admin
7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership7 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 58,628.00

Post Number:#18  Unread postby MaggieJ » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:22 pm

GBov wrote: Did you ever feel so behind the starting line you cant even see it in the distance? :roll:

Frequently. Correction, make that most of the time.

My trouble is I spend so much time in 1894 (the current year in my novel) that I sometimes look out the window and say something like, "Oh, yeah, it's July." :o Thinking for a moment it was April or October or whatever. Who says time travel isn't possible? :lol:

5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership5 years of membership

Post Number:#19  Unread postby GBov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:28 am

MaggieJ wrote:
GBov wrote: Did you ever feel so behind the starting line you cant even see it in the distance? :roll:

Frequently. Correction, make that most of the time.

My trouble is I spend so much time in 1894 (the current year in my novel) that I sometimes look out the window and say something like, "Oh, yeah, it's July." :o Thinking for a moment it was April or October or whatever. Who says time travel isn't possible? :lol:

You did make me laugh with this one! OMG I do that too, get so caught up in a book I dont know what century it is, never mind season or day! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of day, its day three of fermented grains for all. Well, I havnt fed it to the rabbits yet, havnt done enough research for that one but poultry and pigs? LOVING IT!!!

Now I need to make a new compost pile beside the hen house/cage so I can give weekly access for the girls. I leveled out the first one I made when we moved in here and it was heaving with maggots :shock: so I cut the bottom off the rooster tractor and plunked it down onto the leveled heap.

Talk about some happy birds!

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,684.00

Post Number:#20  Unread postby Truckinguy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:05 am

I've been fermenting the grains for my chickens for a while now, couple of years maybe. Before that I was giving them dry scratch grains and they would scratch through it to find the grains they wanted and it would be all over the place and lots of waste. Now they gobble it all down and very little or no waste at all.

I was soaking them for three days but i was finding that mold would grow on the top of the water so I do it now for two days. I'm going to have to find a lid system to keep the oxygen out while the grains are soaking.

The grains swell up so less grains are needed to feed the birds, in addition to be nutritionally superior. The hulls on the grains are softer so they are easier to digest. They are slightly more acidic which increases the acidity of their gut which helps fight any harmful bacteria that they may ingest. There are many beneficial vitamins that are formed in the fermenting process. It also helps keep the birds hydrated due to the increased moisture in the grains which is helpful in the summer.

If nothing else I have saved a lot of money on wastage. The birds seem very healthy and I rarely lose one. New chicks that are hatched in the coop eat nothing but fermented grains and have been fine until they go outside and have access to whatever the other birds eat.

Post Number:#21  Unread postby GBov » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am

That is good info Truckinguy, thanks! :D

I have mine in a 5 gallon bucket UNcovered, on the porch. Every time I walk past it I give it a good stir to make sure it all gets good oxygen.

We were just adding new grain to replace what we took out but i am going to start a new bucket today so we can feed from one while the second ferments.

Rabbits had their first taste of it today. We shall see how they do on it as well as everyfurfeatherthing else.

So far, so good!

__________ Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:15 am __________

Have to say, the fermented grain smells GREAT!!! :P

__________ Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 am __________

Trolling through the internet looking for information on feeding fermented feeds to livestock I came across this little gem....

http://www.academicjournals.org/journal ... FE2A938971

OMG! That is all I can say, is OMG!!! Who would EVER think, "Gosh, I wonder if I can feed THAT to rabbits?" Or ANYTHING!!! :evil:

Site Supporter
Canada
BunnyBucks: 2,684.00

Post Number:#22  Unread postby Truckinguy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:12 pm

GBov, I've never fed the grains to my rabbits so I can't say what effect it would have on them. I"m interested to see how yours do.

The fermenting process that occurs under the water is anarobic and lacks oxygen. This is necessary for the good microbes and bacteria to do their work. Anything that happens on the surface of the water is arobic which involves oxygen and can result in harmful mold growing on the top of the water which happened to me. My birds still seemed fine but I decided to only go with the two day fermentation as it didn't give the mold time to grow on the water. The buckets should be covered with a loose fitting lid so any CO2 that results from the fermentation process can escape but fresh oxygen can't get in. My Dad used to make wine at home and his big glass jugs had caps on them with a little water system that let the pressure bubble out of the container while it fermented but prevented fresh oxygen from entering the container. I may try to set up something like that.

Also make sure that all the grains are below the surface of the water.

Previous