Peeps in the "bator, at least THAT went right!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBov

Reaction score
:D Have done a test hatch to see if the new rooster can do the job and they started hatching last night. :D

As the incubator is only 3 feet from my bed the sounds of the hatching chicks gave me VERY odd dreams!

Last months great chicken experiment has gone so badly that I was a bit iffy about even doing a hatch but am glad I have, dont know how many of the 20 eggs will eventually hatch but with 6 out of their eggs now and a few more pipping, it looks pretty good right now.

At least the hawk wont complain any way. :roll:

Am about to set up a hover brooder. Not having tried one before its a new thing but reading about the system, it seems to be just what I need.

How did you do? We got 17 out of 20 eggs but of course, one of them promptly fell into the waterer upside down and drowned.

Ah well, 16 is better than a kick in the teeth eh? :lol:

I was wondering how you were doing LOL Only 14 developed past Day 10 candling, and 11 of the 14 hatched on their own. I don't help chicks out of the shell, nor do I cut back on oyster shell for breeding to make it easier on them. Of the 11, only two are Wyandottes, and the other nine are my Meaties mix.

Starting to collect eggs for the next hatch.

How do you brood? I am going to make a small hover brooder to try for the first time. Having read about them I think I can make a small one super easy with the bottom third of a plastic barrel and am keen to try.

I am also saving eggs right now, even though we really do need them for eating. I just cant help myself an empty 'bator is such a sad thing! :lol:

Well, my preference is to slip them under a broody Silkie hen or give them to my full capon to nanny, but Pollux the capon has about fifteen bouncing boisterous Wyandottes from last month's hatch, the two remaining broody Silkie hens (aka "the Dragons") have their dozen Silkie chicks, and no new ones trying to hatch golf balls ... so it's back to the brooder tub, a 55 gallon black rubber stock tank, and the heat lamp.

Back