Peeing all over cage

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancoal

Reaction score
Stella (my 1-2 year old dwarf mix) was litter trained from the moment I brought her home from shelter. A few months ago (after the first time I brought her home to my parents house for the weekend) she began pooping outside the litter box. We live on the east coast in the U.S., and during the major hurricane we had a few weeks back, she began peeing all over her cage instead of in her litter box (the only part she avoids peeing on is the shelf in her cage, which she loves to lay on and eat hay on) I assumed that maybe this sudden peeing all over the floor of the cage was due to the storm. It had happened a few times before the storm, but maybe 1-2 times total. Since the hurricane she pees both inside and outside her litter box. I have tried putting straw mats on her floor cage, having her floor cage with no bedding on it at all, putting pillow cases down, etc... no matter what I do, she pees outside her litter box and the maintenance of cleaning her cage has literally become about 3 times more difficult. I find myself needing to clean her cage, top to bottom, 2-3 times PER DAY now, where as before I could empty her litter box once per day and clean her cage 1-2 times per week.

I am in desperate need of any advice that will help me re-litter train Stella. I don't even know if this is possible, but I am hoping all of you bunny experts will have some advice. I have tried moving the litter box and she simply pees somewhere else.

She is otherwise super happy and healthy at the moment, which I am very thankful for giving her tummy issues a month or so ago.

I know that cats with urinary tract infections or blockages will start using other places rather than their box, probably because they associate the pain of urination with the location. You might consider a trip to the vet or at least see if you can bring a urine sample in for evaluation.

If she is not spayed, and it is not a daily occurrence it could also be that she is scent marking because she wants to be bred.

I hope you find the reason- it can't be much fun cleaning up after her constantly.

If it is not health related, your best option may be to put her in a wire bottomed cage so she is above her mess and you can just clean her tray as necessary.

You must have had a rough time during the hurricane. Poor Stella. I know that North Jersey really got pounded, along with the Shore. We were fortunate and only lost electricity for a bit. But it did freak out Luna. Took her a few days to calm down.

Could you possibly put in two litter boxes in for a bit? And maybe put hay in each? It sounds like she feels safe on the shelf with her hay. But maybe as she calms down after the storm, having the hay in the boxes, she'll find comfort and choose one like she chose a corner before the storm? I trained all my babies to go in the litter box with hay. I put hay on the sides that they don't urinate. Each rabbit has a particular corner they use and lay on the other side with the hay. Luna's kits are doing very well with the litter box since weaned. Luna taught them well, which I'm truly grateful. Not much mess to clean up in the crates.

Hoping this suggestion helps. Hoping Stella can settle down again. And hoping all is well with you and yours after the Hurricane. Lots of people in North Jersey and the Shore without homes and electricity still.

Karen

Latest posts

Back