Pedigree question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
I have a little question. I want to breed my MR just to see what colors I will get but thats where the question comes up. My doe is pedigreed but my buck isn't or at least I don't think. I know my bucks parents and their color but his grandparents I only know their color but not their names. Also on the G.Dam's side I don't know what color her sire is I only know her dam's color. Could I say my buck is pedigreed or no? I have a picture of the pedigree paper that I would be using unless I make my own if I do bred since the litter will be half pedigreed.

Attachments

• Photo3262.jpg
    Photo3262.jpg
    605.7 KB · Views: 387
The rules for rabbit pedigrees are VERY loose - even mutts can have pedigrees in the rabbit world :lol: as any written family tree of 3 generations or more qualifies as a pedigree. So yes you can call your buck pedigreed.

People get confused (myself included) because they are use to the rules in the dog world where ONLY pups from purebred AND registered parents get pedigrees from the kennel club.

In rabbits the pedigree only needs to be exact if you want to REGISTER your rabbit with ARBA

If this is what you want then no, your bucks pedigree would not be sufficient and he and his offspring would be declined registration. However his great grand kids would qualify if you kept accurate records and fully filled out the pedigrees (name; colour; tattoo; weight; registration number) of him and his progeny (assuming the does pedigrees are also in order :) )

Do you have more info on the parents than color? Usually people expect at least 3 generations on both sides but like Dood said there aren't really rules. People are just more likely to buy and spend more money on rabbits with full, detailed pedigrees.

This is all I have on my buck. The doe I have is full pedigreed. I think her pedigree goes back 4 maybe 5 generations back. So here is a picture of how it would look I guess.

Attachments

• Rabbit pedigree.jpg
    Rabbit pedigree.jpg
    315.2 KB · Views: 349
Need to check on the doe to make sure all things are filled in, if there is ONE weight missing, it isn't really a full pedigree. I don't know how many times I've looked and asked about having a full pedigree only to get there and check over the animal and the pedigree to find weights or even ear numbers missing. You may be able to track down the weights for the others thru a general search or asking previous owner/breeder a good guess on what they weighed, while not ideal its better than leaving it blank. If you can't find the weights, it'll take more time as you'll only have the weights on the parents...which means 3 generations out to get a true full pedigree.

It might be best to list it as "partial pedigree" until you get enough gens to have one fully filled out.

I'll be honest though, I rarely ever see fully filled out pedigrees. Missing weights are super common. The only ped I do have that has all the weights I'm pretty sure is fudged...

Keep in mind I don't mess with show lines much, but, I would think weights would be even more important on purebred meat rabbits.

So, if you wait to have every weight and ear number to list them as "pedigreed", you will be holding yourself to a higher standard than most breeders seem to.

I've never seen a pedigree with all weights even if there are one or 2 registered ancestors. No one I've talked to around here or the district 3 list consider weights a requirement for a full pedigree. They really don't matter much to most people since they don't intend to register and go for GC on their rabbit. They can be slightly useful for severely weight restricted breeds but even with relatives over the limit you can have properly sized offspring. You can tell without weights how serious someone is over the show or meat quality of their rabbits so you know if they are likely to do what you want.

Pedigrees are only as good as the person keeping them. Show breeders often require fully completed pedigrees, and even prefer registered rabbits on them, since those animals have been submitted to ARBA.

For a meat breeder, records of sire / dam and their weights should be sufficient, I would think.

That said, I strive to have all of my show / brood rabbits registered, and I am quickly getting to a place where my next line of registered babies will be red/white and blue registered, meaning every rabbit on their pedigree is registered, and thus verified by ARBA.

I have turned down very typey animals because their pedigrees were garbage. The pedigree you have for your buck is a good start, but I would not call him nor the babies, pedigreed.

Ok thanks everyone. So if I still decided to breed them I have to say half pedigreed then. Next question should I breed a black tort with a broken chocolate?

Hmm I guess some districts are worse than others. I tried to register a MR buck, all information was there but one grand sire's weight and I was refused because of that, he passed otherwise easily. It is very true they're only as good as the person that wrote them, and even then some times there's still issues.

Like Dood said though on the pairing, could end up with un-showables but if you have a purpose in mind for them and still want to, don't see a reason not to if it benefits you.

Dood":2iydn985 said:
The rules for rabbit pedigrees are VERY loose - even mutts can have pedigrees in the rabbit world :lol: as any written family tree of 3 generations or more qualifies as a pedigree. So yes you can call your buck pedigreed.

People get confused (myself included) because they are use to the rules in the dog world where ONLY pups from purebred AND registered parents get pedigrees from the kennel club.

In rabbits the pedigree only needs to be exact if you want to REGISTER your rabbit with ARBA

If this is what you want then no, your bucks pedigree would not be sufficient and he and his offspring would be declined registration. However his great grand kids would qualify if you kept accurate records and fully filled out the pedigrees (name; colour; tattoo; weight; registration number) of him and his progeny (assuming the does pedigrees are also in order :) )

I LOVE this answer. Now ALL our rabbits are pedigreed. Maybe I can ask more money for each kit!!! LOL!!! :lol: :lol:

A Rabbit Pedigree, [or any other pedigree]
is only as good as the person writing it!
Be truthful in the information that you post on your pedigrees,
to not be can possibly end up biting you in a very bad place.
Honesty is always the best policy.
Do onto others as you would have them do onto you!
A Mutt is a mutt and will never turn into a "Silk purse",
with proper selection some of the offspring could end up
turning into that silk purse.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Back