Pasture Raised Tips

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunbun87

Reaction score
This is my first post on here. I hope I'm posting in the right place. I'm looking to start a herd of bunnies for the use of meat rabbits. My plan is to keep a good portion of my breeding stock in hanging cages and experimentally pasture raise others. I've read that many breeds to fair so well on pasture. I'm looking toward the Creme D'Argent and was wondering if anyone has had any luck with this breed? It has been very hard to find a breeder in the North East (Maine or nearby) but I hear they are around. Has anyone tried crossing to get the perfect pasture rabbit? What rotations do you use? Any and all pasture specific or Creme D'Argent Specific comments desired!

I don't think it depends so much on a particular breed--more on how the rabbits you get were raised. Any change in feed must be done slowly. I forage a lot for our meat rabbits--thought about pasture but was deterred by the problems that were always mentioned when I looked into it. Good luck whatever you decide--and keep posting. There's a lot of experience available to you here on RT. And if you're like me, you prefer to learn from someone else's mistakes when possible. :)

Welcome to RT!

I also considered pasturing, but the hawks around here made that a no go. I agree with Rainey about the forage- just change over slowly, maybe starting them in cages as you transition from pellets to forage. Good luck!

I have always fed my caged indoor rabbits Bunny 16 by Blue Seal Feeds (not too many feed dealers in my area). I've always had great results with this feed. I'm curious if anyone has supplemented their outdoor rabbits with Sunshine Plus by Blue Seal feeds and what results they have gotten? Sunshine plus product descriptor:

"Sunshine Plus™ is a heavily fortified, complete supplement, containing yeast culture and MosPlus™. It is formulated to balance forage diets and to enhance the level of nutrition in cattle, horses, goats, rabbits and guinea pigs. Sunshine Plus is an excellent "lite" feed for animals that require minimal to no grain."

Latest posts

Back