pasture grass seed mixes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triple Nickel Farm

Reaction score
Hi everyone!! Any chance anyone has found a wild pasture seed mix that is safe for bunnies? Preferably in bulk... I just moved to a house in september and my bunnies are in a colony setting. I am looking for some seed to start growing so they can eat freely. There is not much on the property now and the soil needs a good boost.

You won't find the exact same brands and mixes across the country and online ordering for more than a pound or 2 is expensive. What grows in a given area is not the same everywhere and feed stores often sell multiple mixes of pasture seed and some lawngrass that does well in your area in huge bags labelled for shade/sun or specific local soil conditions. Usually the pasture mixes are next to the pallets of feed or mixed in with the salt blocks and supplements here. Many garden centers also have large bags of cover crop mix that is legumes or grains. I use that as part of my guinea pig grazing area with herb mixes and grass seed. Whole oats will also sprout readily most anywhere and prior to making grain heads the plants are pretty much the same nutrition as any perennial pasture grass. Early cut grain hay is the same as grass hay. It's after it goes to seed that you have the nutrient values of grain and the rest of the plant steadily depletes to make it's seeds. Regular whole black oil sunflower seeds sold in 40-50lb bags for bird feeding and most bird seeds sprout in even tough growing conditions as well but are mostly all annual and only some are useful as grass instead of waiting for the seeds like sunflower plants.

Latest posts

Back