Paralyzed legs?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini Lop Fan

Reaction score
So I have a junior doe, about 18 weeks old, who just suddenly can't seem to move her back legs any more. I checked her spine for a spinal injury, but I don't get a reaction when I feel her spine. She seems to be able to drag herself around and reacts a little bit when I feel her legs and tail. She doesn't have diarrhea, runny nose, etc. She seems perfectly healthy other than her legs. Any thoughts?

I hate seeing her unable to move, and I want to know whether it would be best to euthanize or treat it? Thank you!

How long has she been paralyzed?

I've read a lot of posts over the years by people who have had buns recover from temporary paralysis with rest and restricted movement.

It's been since last night. I fed them yesterday morning, she was fine. Then last night she was laying strangely--I honestly thought she was just sleepy, but this morning told a different story. I am going to put her in a towel padded crate to restrict movement...Hopefully that does the trick. <br /><br /> -- Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:22 pm -- <br /><br /> Bunny1.jpg

It could be E. cuniculi which might be fixed with panacur? Weakness in the hind legs is a symptom of E. cuninuli. Although as Michael mentioned, that doesn't seem to show up quickly.

"Start the breathing, stop the bleeding & make 'em lay down" was the medical mantra when we were racing sailboats away from medical assistance, it might be of some use here? If it's a broken back then there's not much that can be done, but if it's a strain or fracture, then it may fix itself with some rest and restricted movement.

I am keeping her pretty still, she definitely has control over back legs (poor girl, she tries to push herself forward with them but they aren't strong enough). I have had to manually help her relieve her bladder, which was a new experience XD It went well though.

Latest posts

Back