Paralysed month old

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyPocket

Reaction score
Good day all.

Feeding my buns this evening and found what I think is paralysed kit. No movement in limbs, tryed pinching it, only responds to pincing of head, neck or ears. However, besides a slight twitch, no head movement either. Breaths normally and blinks as well. Was all fine when checked on them 4-5 hours ago. The kit is caged with a doe and 9 other kits, it's not of the biggest in the litter, but there are 2 runts that are obviously smaller. Any thought???

Thanks in advance.
-Marko

It's impossible to be certain, but it sounds to me like a spinal injury, probably in the neck or upper back. With no mobility at all, it will be very difficult for it to get adequate food or water and it will likely not have control of its bowels or bladder. If it were mine, I'd euthanize it to prevent it suffering.

Very sorry not to be able to say something more optimistic. :cry:

Thanks for quick reply, Maggie. Turns out it wasn't paralysis. The kit started tossing around tonly to stop after about 15 secs, then it stopped, took few more breaths and went over the bridge. Kind of glad that this didn't got ugly (hate culling). Thanks again anyway.

It's probably for the best. We all hate culling, especially when it comes to kits. But I think it is important that we have enough resolution to follow through if necessary. Glad it wasn't needed in this case.

Back