Papaya Saplings? --HAWAII Members can you answer this???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frecs

Reaction score
Wondering if rabbits can eat papaya tree saplings? I accidently grew some and would like to feed them to the rabbits if possible.

Has any of our Hawaii (or other Tropical Location members) ever fed papaya saplings/leaves to their rabbits?

Enquiring minds want to know... :mrgreen:

I would not feed papaya leaves. I think it causes diarrhea? I can't remember why, but I remember hearing to not feed to buns.

ummmm...interesting... I wonder if that comes from the thought that feeding fresh greens are bad in general? which, as we know, is not true if the rabbit is acclimated to the foods slowly. Or, if there really is a problem?

I found this on Mountain Rose Herbs website:
The leaf contains beta-carotene, calcium, carpaine, fats, flavonols, niacin, papain, tannins, and vitamin C (in higher concentration in the leaf than in the fruit). The leaf, unlike the fruit, is not a source of the protein-dissolving enzyme papain, but the latex (sap) in the leaf stem is. Papain remains in leaf preparations that have been dried over low heat, but it may be destroyed in products that are dried at high heat.

Parts Used: Dried leaf.
Typical Preparations: Infusions or teas, taken in small doses. For convenience it may be taken as a capsule or extract.

Precautions: Avoid overdosing. Excessive use of the herb can result in a very strong laxative effect.

__________ Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm __________

I found this on http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail241.php

Papaya leaf is used in herbal medicine to remove intestinal worms. Papaya leaf has less of the protein-dissolving papain than the fruit, so it is less likely to "dissolve" the worms, but it contains tannins that the fruit does not. These tannins protect the intestine from reinfection by "tanning" proteins in the lining of the intestinal wall so that worms cannot attach themselves.
<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:55 pm __________<br /><br />I'm learning some good stuff here...

On Feedipedia ... http://www.feedipedia.org/node/522

Rabbits
Papaya leaves

Papaya leaves given to crossbred weaned rabbits had a better feeding value than Guinea grass (Megathyrsus maximus) and Tridax procumbens (Taiwo et al., 2005) .

Hmmm, what about the safety of tannins? I know that somewhere I read that tannins were "bad" for a lot of animals.

dayna":1ztdtu7z said:
Hmmm, what about the safety of tannins? I know that somewhere I read that tannins were "bad" for a lot of animals.

Very excellent question. I don't know the answer to it. But...let's see what google can find...<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:53 pm __________<br /><br />Okay, I don't understand a good deal of this website just giving it a quick read but this is a detailed overview on tannins: http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/tox ... annin.html

a few key points:

Tannins are naturally occurring plant polyphenols. Their main characteristic is that they bind and precipitate proteins. They can have a large influence on the nutritive value of many foods eaten by humans and feedstuff eaten by animals. Tannins are common in fruits (grapes, persimmon, blueberry, etc.), in tea, in chocolate, in fruit dish.legume forages (trefoil, etc.), in legume trees (Acacia spp., Sesbania spp., etc.), in grasses (sorghum, corn, etc.).

Tannins contribute to many aspects of our daily lives. They are responsible for the astringent taste we experience when we partake of wine or unripe fruits, and for the enchanting colors seen in flowers and in autumn leaves.
---
Nutritional Effects: positive effects

The presence of tannins in food sources for monogastric animals, is generally viewed adversely, though their contribution to red wines is certainly an exception. However, in ruminants, tannins can induce beneficial effects. For example,

In sheep and cattle higher retention of nitrogen has been observed in sheep and cattle with low to moderate levels of tannins in forages,
In these cases, the lower apparent and true digestibility of nitrogen was compensated for by reduced urinary loss of hydrogen,
Moderate levels of tannins (less than 4% ) in forage legumes can have beneficial responses in ruminants, resulting in higher growth rates and milk yield,
However, even in ruminants, levels of tannins exceeding 6% of the diet result in negatively affect growth rates and milk yield.

Several mechanisms have been suggested to explain how tannins influence protein utilization by ruminants -

Seems like we can't really avoid tannins in foods but it is more about how much? maybe...not sure...

Yeah, I can understand that!

It seems that from looking at the info in feedipedia...the parts of a papaya plant that is edible depends on which animal is doing the eating. Likely due to different levels of tannins in different parts of the plant??? And, from what I managed to glean from the Cornell site, it has to do with the digestive system -- monograstric versus ruminant...

I'm thinking that at best, the papaya leaves would be a "on a limited basis" feed...or saved for medicinal...or?? not sure, still trying to sort out the info.<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:24 pm __________<br /><br />Update: I decided to test the papaya saplings on my growouts that are heading to freezer camp soon anyway. yesterday, I gave them just the trunk of the sapling. While they have not consumed the whole thing, they are working on it and seem to like it. No evidence of negative reactions.

Tomorrow, I will try giving the leaves and see how that goes.

(I'm also drying leaves for my herbal medicine cabinet.)

This is great! Waiting for the results on this. Wish i have fryers to experiment with. My doe just had her kit and they are just a few days old.

Update: Word on the rabbit hotline is mixed on the leaves. Some ate them, others did not. (I tested the leaves out on everyone, btw.) The trunks (~1 inch in diameter) are a definite hit with the young crowd. The only part they seem to leave is the bottom few inches (white, rootbase). Everyone seems lively and are eating well so there doesn't appear to be any digestive issues as a result. I'll continue to offer the leaves every few days and see if interest increases/decreases and how they do with it.

According to feedipedia, the papaya leaves are 24% protein. Since I feed a 16% pellet and sprouted grains, I am looking for ways to up the protein. If growing papaya as an annual crop will help with that--at least until such time as my mulberries are large enough to start harvesting--this would be a very good thing.

Update: As noted, I gave all my rabbits a papaya leaf two days ago. Not everyone ate theirs. At first, I thought everyone was go that did eat theirs. Yesterday evening, I noted that those rabbits that did eat their leaf, were a bit off their feed. Not completely, just a bit. Especially noticable was my FAngora who eats with gusto normally, she left food in her bowl yesterday. That had me concerned. But, this morning, they were back to their happy, hungry selves.

So, I'm thinking that the introduction to papaya leaves needs to be VERY slow...like a fraction of a leaf.

I'm going to give them a few days break and then try again and see how it goes. It may be that it won't work due to digestive "upset" but I want to verify before I make a conclusion.

One reason I'm not wanting to give up too soon is that per feedipedia, there is at least one study that compared the use of papaya leaves to a particular grass and stated the papaya had better growth rates. So, it seems it is used as a feed.

I've been feeding fresh. You are right, dried could be easier. I'll try that and see how dried goes over. It could make for a good ingredient for a winter "rabbit salad" blend of dried herbs/weeds.

I live in South Florida and have been feeding my bunny papaya leaves daily (along with sweet potato leaves, mustard greens, various herbs, squash flowers and roses). My bunny adores papaya leaves and she has had no ill effects. She also gets pellets, fresh water and fresh hay daily. Just wanted to comment here so others who live in my area or areas where papayas are grown know that papaya leaves can be fed.

Papaya leaves
Papaya leaves given to crossbred weaned rabbits had a better feeding value than Guinea grass (Megathyrsus maximus) and Tridax procumbens (Taiwo et al., 2005).
http://www.feedipedia.org/node/522

Guinea grass is a very commonly feed to rabbits in warmer climates with good results so that speaks very well for papaya leaves.

Latest posts

Back