Palpation vs Rebreeding/Test Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixGun

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
What do you do?

In the past, I have always tested a doe about 14 days in with a buck, as a way to see if she's been bred, or using that as a new breeding date if she is not. I used to always did this because I could never get the hang of palpating. However, as I've been reading more and more I worry about the 2 horned uterus. I've never had an issue with the test breeding / rebreeding method, but.... have I just been lucky? I've always had more of the meat mutt variety, but now with the French Angoras I really don't want to risk anything. Now, I'm going to try palpating... again... I've watched videos and read descriptions and I'm willing to try again. But, am I playing with fire by test breeding, or is it a myth that I will have a doe with two separate aged litters inside?

I've never seen anybody actually get a doe pregnant twice, but I don't know any big breeders who test breed. Unnecessary stress on the doe, for an inconclusive test - often does that aren't pregnant won't lift, and ones that are will attack the buck anyway. Not to mention extra risk for the buck.

Back