Overthinking first time rabbit breeder >3<

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ButtonsPalace

Reaction score
So, my doe Buttons was bred on 5/31 and again on 6/3 *I was very busy the days between I didn't intend to wait as long between breeding.* I think I seen a kit shaped lump on her belly and she looks pregnant. Now as you may know this is her fourth time. The first was about 2 years ago and she had 9? or 10?. The second was a year ago and she had two kits, when we found them one was dead and it's face looked as if it had been stomped into the cage with blood running out of it's nose, the other was cold and my step-dad unbeknownst to him shut the dryer door that the kit was in and it suffocated *He didn't want any more babies and she had been bred from before I moved so we were surprised to find babies, and my mom didn't want me to tell him so he wouldn't get mad* So then what should've been her third their hutch fell over in some hardcore wind while I was at a work interview one day. The third, well people didn't exactly ask for my help when moving rabbits but instead took it upon themselves and put her inside a plastic tote with the lid half closed (This doe was mistreated by a few people for most of her life up until now, so she don't trust anybody and is very easy to stress out, trying to pet her makes her eyes bulge out of her head sometimes... She's very skittish but she seems okayish with me.) So this is go four and I think I saw a kit in her belly? She was laying on her side and there was a lump I'd say about 2-3 inches long and about an inch wide. I didn't see it move other than when it disappeared back into her massive belly, I'm just not sure if it's a kit or if it's not and if it's not whether or not it could be something bad? I hope this all makes sense!

Hard to say. Rabbits intestines roll and that can look a lot like kits if you don't know what you are looking for. When belly watching, I look for quick jerky movements rather than anything stretching. I thought for sure I had a pregnant one in the past and it ended up being her intestines rolling and her ribs expanding with that. So unless you can palpate or know what to look for, its really hard to tell. This isn't your first time, so the title of this had me a bit confused? Sorry about the other losses, and why was a baby in the dryer and suffocated when the door was closed? That's tragic but just trying to picture how that happend? Anyway, best of luck to you and your sweet momma, sounds like you both have been thru a lot and I wish success for you this time around.

Kit movement is rather "fast" paced. Like quick sharp movements, and mostly at random places inside the doe. It if looks like a slow rolling movement along her side/belly that continues in a straight pattern I would say that sounds like intestinal movement to me.

If it looks like what I call "popcorn" popping all over, that I would believe to be kits kicking.

macksmom98":3q2daadp said:
Hard to say. Rabbits intestines roll and that can look a lot like kits if you don't know what you are looking for. When belly watching, I look for quick jerky movements rather than anything stretching. I thought for sure I had a pregnant one in the past and it ended up being her intestines rolling and her ribs expanding with that. So unless you can palpate or know what to look for, its really hard to tell. This isn't your first time, so the title of this had me a bit confused? Sorry about the other losses, and why was a baby in the dryer and suffocated when the door was closed? That's tragic but just trying to picture how that happend? Anyway, best of luck to you and your sweet momma, sounds like you both have been thru a lot and I wish success for you this time around.

The first time was intended as this is my first time doing this more than once. I mean I've had a pregnant doe before but not like 2 or 3 so it's a bit more. It's also not something I saw myself doing, but I love it. The baby was in the dryer because I had ran it for about 5-10 minutes till it was warm, it was full of towels so I left the door open and put it in there to warm up and he shut it... I understand it's kinda crazy.. I was still in school and living with my mom, so things have changed.. I changed my subject. Maybe that'll make it more understandable. It's just kinda annoying and stressful because she looks pregnant but she isn't acting it,etc. But she doesn't until the last two or three days when she grunts at you a bit.

-- June 30th, 2016, 5:15 pm --

HansenHomestead":3q2daadp said:
Kit movement is rather "fast" paced. Like quick sharp movements, and mostly at random places inside the doe. It if looks like a slow rolling movement along her side/belly that continues in a straight pattern I would say that sounds like intestinal movement to me.

If it looks like what I call "popcorn" popping all over, that I would believe to be kits kicking.

I don't think I've seen any spastic movement but what I saw was just laying there and then it moved back in.. It was bout 2-3 inches long and about 2 inches wide. I mean it was kit sized especially for how far she should be. I don't know to much other than both mom and dad are proven breeders. Mom is a high-stress rabbit.. She's easily stressed. But I have really high hopes for this time because the first breeding we had 4 fall-offs and the second was about 4 days later and she wasn't really having it so he only fell off once and then I took her out because she tried to bite him... Her belly looks more pregnant than fat. By that I mean her belly shape has changed.. *I'm so glad you guys replied to this. I know I won't get a definite yes or no as to whether or not she is but It's nice to know she's ok and that maybe I have a decent chance and that what I seen might have been a kit* <br /><br /> -- June 30th, 2016, 8:58 pm -- <br /><br /> So I went to check on her and she's looking rounder than normal.. So outlook is good? I guess?

Well more rounded than normal is not a bad thing, and is an indication that something is changing but not necessarily proof of pregnancy.....now I understand you better, thanks for clarifying:). The intestines rolling can look like a lump that can appear kit shaped and makes a roiling in and out motion. You could very well have a pregnant doe or not, it's hard to say from what you are describing. Just remember that even what seems like a lot of belly movement doesn't mean for sure kits. Hope in your case this is true tho:)

Well I can't really say much for her. She's very shy and acts skittish around me. She's built a nest now, so things are looking hopeful. She hasn't started grunting yet which is something I happened to recall from the last two times she had babies but then again I didn't try to pet her today like I normally would have because I'm mad on a level I don't want to try to explain ;) Let's just say if it wasn't illegal I'd be knocking some people out.

Latest posts

Back