outside kennel for dogs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessicaR

Reaction score
I thought I would ask here since the sheltie forum I asked this question on originally, basically acted like I was the cruelest person in the world for even suggesting this. :eek:

I am considering building an outdoor kennel for the dogs for when we take the kids on day trips that way the dogs wont be locked up in the house all day long while we say go to the lake or zoo. We don't have A/C in the house so I thought it would be better if they could be outside where they could at least get a breeze and go to the bathroom when they wanted. My oldest son could possibly check on them once or twice, but since he has a full time job and goes to collage he might not always be available to come over.
What would you think is better... a 6' chain link fence or a 6' privacy fence? Either one would have a lock, so no one but myself and my oldest son, would have a key to get in. I would also make sure they have plenty of water and shade.

As this is a kennel and not a full yard, IMO chain link would be the better choice. The dogs get to see and experience a lot more, it also breathes allowing for much better ventilation (privacy fence can almost become a hot box if the area it surrounds is too small). A smaller space also means dogs will test it a lot more than they would if it was the full yard and metal holds up better than wood at being scratched and chewed on relentlessly. Even just cleaning it out would be easier with chainlink as you can hose it, you technically can hose down a privacy fence but it is a very very bad idea as that treatment will cause it to rot much much faster. It wont last nearly as long regardless. They also make shade cloths for chain link as well as special slats you can add on that will still breathe but obstruct the view for the dog substantially if you are later finding you're having any kind of issues with any specific neighbors (just add it on the side facing them).

Latest posts

Back